What Are You Doing To/With Your Car Today?

-
I made a rear seat firewall too, but had it painted body color when they did the shell. Not putting the rear seat back in...heavy and won't be used.
But that area really needs some sound insulation with dual 3" exhaust! Can't paint the foil-backed butyl or foam materials (too smooth) and exposed shiny foil with repeating manufacturer's logo will look like crap.
Any thoughts?
View attachment 1715638607
Don't laugh. But maybe vinyl top material. Or Headliner? I'd try the fabric stores and cover it with what catches your eye. Google Vinyl top material. You can find it for $15 a yard.

Last edited:
I made a rear seat firewall too, but had it painted body color when they did the shell. Not putting the rear seat back in...heavy and won't be used.
But that area really needs some sound insulation with dual 3" exhaust! Can't paint the foil-backed butyl or foam materials (too smooth) and exposed shiny foil with repeating manufacturer's logo will look like crap.
Any thoughts?
View attachment 1715638607

That looks good! Can't help with the sound insulation, the ideas above were pretty good....

Did some more sanding in my grill... only need to wet sand it all now, polish the aluminum, tape, paint, tape then paint some more.... now I see why people who have money pay to have this done... shop dog helped as well...

20201128_142654.jpg

20201128_142849.jpg

It needs to be much much much more shiney... but I think I have all the spots raw aluminum that are not supposed to be black... my fingers hurt too.
Go slow. Walk away if you need to. Parts are to hard to find to make a mistake.

Go slow. Walk away if you need to. Parts are to hard to find to make a mistake.

Slow? Shoot, I bought power tool adapters to help with the sanding. I now 100% believe if you can afford it and have space for it to buy a sand/glass blaster to clean these parts. The paint on this grill was so dang thick.

Shop dog almost lost her privileges last night as well..

20201128_144103.jpg

Low 50's and sunny... managed to cut a corner off the unused left motor mount on the K-frame that was touching the oil pump relief spring housing. It's tricky to maneuver a Sawzall in there (headers, motor plate, inner fender, dipstick) without cutting anything important :p
Then I took it for a short run to check the current carb tune. Definitely needs more PVCR and an earlier-opening PV, with the lean (#71) primary main jets. So I enlarged them from .059 to .066 and changed PV from 9.5" to 10.5". But now it's dark and the temp is dropping fast. Will try it out the next time there's a nice afternoon :)

Looks a lot like the door strikers on my car (if that's the right word, the piece that bolts to the body and the latch engages with it).
Yes it's the door striker. You can't do a car and have a nasty door striker. I've set the bar high with the flex plate & Air Cleaner. Lol

Last edited:
The black is actually gloss. Testor Gloss black with a air brush worked perfectly. I had multiple tape levels to pull off every color. Do not be afraid to use model paint on the small parts. Time from start to finish? 20 hrs. But that span is over 6 weeks.

Slow? Shoot, I bought power tool adapters to help with the sanding. I now 100% believe if you can afford it and have space for it to buy a sand/glass blaster to clean these parts. The paint on this grill was so dang thick.

Shop dog almost lost her privileges last night as well..

View attachment 1715638847

Is that there some of that fancy Las Vegas green grass? :rolleyes:

The black is actually gloss. Testor Gloss black with a air brush worked perfectly. I had multiple tape levels to pull off every color. Do not be afraid to use model paint on the small parts. Time from start to finish? 20 hrs. But that span is over 6 weeks.

What chrome/silver? Kyrolon Aluminum?

I dont have an airbrush, but yes it looks great. 6 weeks? Why so long? To let the chrome/silver fully cure?

Weather was about 50 degrees and sunny today, so a friend and I went for about a two hour drive in the Charger to pick up a manifold for a buddy. The car ran great. Almost December and going for a drive, awesome! Didn't take any new pictures so I will recycle one.

IMG_20200709_171551.jpg

-
Back