DOES THE HDK SUSPENSION K-MEMBER HANDLE BETTER THAN A T-BAR SUSPENSION?

-

racerjoe

Reaction score
Ahh, the age-old debate of which suspension is better for our beloved Mopars. There will always be opposition when this topic is discussed, but first, what exactly is “better”? Are the things that one person considers “better” actually relevant to everyone? Probably not. Chances are the die hard “coil over suspension is better” guys haven’t driven a properly setup torsion bar car. As the title suggests, I’m going to discuss the HDK Suspension K-Member as it pertains to handling. And by handling, I mean going fast, turning, and keeping up with, if not beating modern cars on an autocross. We all know aftermarket K-members offer lighter weight and extra room for big engines and headers so those topics won’t be discussed.

For reference, I have a 1970 Plymouth Duster that I use for cruising and autocross. I’ve only been autocrossing for a 3.5 years and have approximately 175 autocross runs on the car. I’ve never driven anything else on an autocross course, only this car. Until the summer of 2023, the car was setup with a stock style torsion bar suspension with parts designed specifically for improved handing. My t-bar setup consisted of the following parts.

• Sway a way 1.08 bars
  • Hotchkis front and rear sway bar, non-adjustable shocks, and leaf springs
  • SPC gen 1 upper control arms
  • FMJ Spindles
  • Aluminum tie rod sleeves
  • QA1 adjustable strut rods
  • Fully welded biscuit type K-member and LCAs
  • Borgeson steering box
  • 14” front discs and 12” rear discs
  • Falken Azenis 200TW 235/40-18 front tires, 275/35-18 rear tires
  • Alignment- 6.25 degrees caster, 1.5 degrees camber
This combination of parts resulted in a very good handling car. Unlike drag racing where the car with the most HP usually has the fastest car, the same doesn’t hold true on the autocross. Having a properly set up car is probably 75% of the equation. Driver skill is the last piece of the puzzle and is the hardest to make up. There is no replacement for seat time! I’ve never won a big event, nor am I the fastest at any given event. If I were to describe my skill, I’d say I am slightly better than mediocre. My car is always the oldest at my local events and I’m typically within the top 25% of the cars there. Most of which are modern compact cars.

In June 2023, my journey with stock style K-member and suspension ended with the installation of an HDK Suspension K-Member with coil overs and rack and pinion. I honestly didn’t know what to expect. Was I going backwards in my quest to have a 50+ year old car that can hang with modern cars around turns? Was it going to be a night and day difference? There was only one way to find out.

If you have been around the automotive market long enough, chances are you have heard someone say coil overs will be exponentially “better” for your car. But why exactly will this one part make your car better? After all, it’s just a shock with a spring around it. Sure, it can make ride height adjustments easy, but nothing is easier than adjusting the tension on a torsion bar. Fortunately, modern aftermarket suppliers are now manufacturing many options when it comes to larger diameter t-bars and there are plenty of non-adjustable, and adjustable shock options. Therefore, I’d say either option is good from an aftermarket support standpoint. From a assembly/disassembly standpoint, torsion bars can require slightly more work.

So, if we have determined the shock and the spring are the same as a shock and torsion bar, what exactly makes one configuration better or worse than the other? The uninformed won’t know where to go from here, but the big difference is the geometry of the moving components. Chrysler did a good job designing the front suspension. With a FMJ spindle, and a lower ride height, the geometry is pretty darn good. The camber gain with the FMJ spindle has been well documented and can be found online easily. With simply a set up adjustable control arms, you can dial in more caster and camber than you would ever want. Changing the upper ball joint height can further dail in the roll center and camber gain. However, the geometry adjustability pretty much ends with the upper control arm.

Nearly all aftermarket K-Members come with a rack and pinion. By design alone, you will get better steering response. While the Borgeson steering box is a huge improvement over the stock Mopar PS box, the rack is much faster. The Borgeson box is 3.5 turns lock to lock and the rack is 2.5 turns lock to lock. Besides the quicker response, the rack doesn’t have a dead spot in the center position like any steering box will have. There are products out there to quicken the steering box, but I’m not aware of a bolt in solution. This one could go either way based on driver preference because both are good.

Now let’s discuss the HDK suspension. Right away, the adjustability of the lower control arm alone gets a checkmark in the win column over stock components. Just having this one component being adjustable allows track width adjustments, easier caster adjustments, and wheel base adjustments when running aggressive caster. Upper and lower screw in ball joints allow options to use a longer balls joint for dialing roll center adjustments or even opportunity to use non-traditional spindles. More on that later.

Just like almost all coil over conversion for Mopars, the HDK uses a Mustang 2 style spindle. There are many options available when it comes to the M2 spindle. There are inexpensive versions, there’s a Wilwood version that is approximately ½” taller than standard, then there’s a relatively new CPP option that uses the corvette hub and brake assembly. The options for brakes on these spindles seem endless. I chose to use the corvette hub style, mostly to get the much larger sealed bearing and a Wilwood 6 piston caliper. Every car guy wants options, the M2 spindle offers that and it works great for drag racers and cruisers. The biggest problem with the M2 spindle is its very short. HDK remediates some of the height problem by supplying a 1” taller than stock upper ball joint. However, this isn’t enough if you are looking for maximum handling capability. With the shorter spindle, the upper control arm has a downward angle toward the tire. When the suspension compresses, the UCA will push the top of the spindle outward until it gets to the level point before pulling the spindle back in. This results in camber loss. Not a recipe for great handling. The second problem with the UCA having a greater angle than the LCA, is the roll center is in the ground. The short M2 spindle puts a check into the negative column for the coil over conversion, but the good news is, there’s a way to fix this.

The Wilwood spindle will help a little, but it still isn’t tall enough. The first option is to get an even taller upper ball joint. There are several aftermarket ball joint manufacturers that make up to 1” taller ball joints. When it comes time to go beyond that, I was only able to find 2 manufacturers. Howe Racing makes a 1.5” taller and Allstar Performance has a 1.5” and 2” longer option. The pivot point for the UCA and LCA on the inboard side is approximately 12.5” apart. This means the distance between the ball joint pivots needs to be greater than 12.5” to have any chance of getting the control arms into a position that will have a favorable roll center.

In trying to continue using the M2 CPP spindle, I opted for the 2” longer upper ball joint. I was initially concerned about sacrificing strength, but it’s a strong piece. The shank diameter and threads are larger than the 1” longer piece but still has the 7 degree taper. Using the combination of the CPP M2 replacement spindle along with the 2” longer upper ball joint, and the standard lower ball joint supplied by HDK, the ball joint pivots are approximately 13” apart. This gets my roll center to approximately 2.5” above ground.

As of this writing, HDK has been made aware of the 2” longer ball joint and will likely supply it with the kit if requested.

During my quest to refine the geometry, I found Ride Tech is now offering a taller spindle with the corvette hub designed to be used on their Chevelle platform. Based on scaling some pictures found on the internet, it appears the spindle is approximately 2” taller than the standard Mustang 2 spindle. Considering the HDK uses screw in ball joints, even if the Chevelle spindle has a different ball joint taper than the M2, ball joints of the correct taper could be sourced. Like with most GM spindles, the steering arm bolts on. There seems to be endless options on length for this part, so dialing in steering angle would be another adjustable feature. Having a 2” taller spindle will allow use of the ¼”,1/2”,3/4”, and longer ball joints to dial in suspension geometry more precisely. I’m limited now since I’m using the 2” just to get the UCA past parallel.

For the guys that are educated in suspension geometry that state coil over conversion systems don’t have proper camber gain, well, I fixed that. With just the taller ball joint change, the standard HDK camber gain went from .7 degrees at 2” of compression to 1.8 degrees at 2” of compression. The factory suspension with an FMJ spindle is around 1.4 degrees based on an old Mopar Muscle Magazine article. Of course, ride height affects all these measurements so use these values at your own risk.

Back to the question at hand, can the HDK handle better than a T-bar setup? As of this writing, I’m going to say my car is handling better than it ever has. I’ll admit, I never took the time to dial in camber gain and roll center on the factory suspension, so perhaps there are some improvements I left on the table. Let’s just say it’s just as good and move on. The aftermarket doesn’t support our Mopars like other brands, so let’s just embrace the fact that there are companies out there willing to contribute to our brand.

Coil over conversions will never be for everyone. If you’re a die-hard t-bar guy and think coil over conversions are bad, I’d like for you to come ride with me around the cones. I plan to be at every Moparty running Grand Champion as long as I’m vertical. Come introduce yourself and let’s go for a ride. I promise you will have a grin from ear to ear after the first corner.

I get the feeling this will get messy. But thanks for writing up an overview of your car and what you’ve done (very nice work) with both styles of front suspension. To say one is better than the other is ridiculous because there are so many variables to consider, and most of those are subjective. It would be interesting to hear lap times from your car with you driving, on the same track, with both styles of front end and compare the data. Any chance you’ve done that?

Ahh, the age-old debate of which suspension is better for our beloved Mopars. There will always be opposition when this topic is discussed, but first, what exactly is “better”? Are the things that one person considers “better” actually relevant to everyone? Probably not. Chances are the die hard “coil over suspension is better” guys haven’t driven a properly setup torsion bar car. As the title suggests, I’m going to discuss the HDK Suspension K-Member as it pertains to handling. And by handling, I mean going fast, turning, and keeping up with, if not beating modern cars on an autocross. We all know aftermarket K-members offer lighter weight and extra room for big engines and headers so those topics won’t be discussed.

For reference, I have a 1970 Plymouth Duster that I use for cruising and autocross. I’ve only been autocrossing for a 3.5 years and have approximately 175 autocross runs on the car. I’ve never driven anything else on an autocross course, only this car. Until the summer of 2023, the car was setup with a stock style torsion bar suspension with parts designed specifically for improved handing. My t-bar setup consisted of the following parts.

• Sway a way 1.08 bars
  • Hotchkis front and rear sway bar, non-adjustable shocks, and leaf springs
  • SPC gen 1 upper control arms
  • FMJ Spindles
  • Aluminum tie rod sleeves
  • QA1 adjustable strut rods
  • Fully welded biscuit type K-member and LCAs
  • Borgeson steering box
  • 14” front discs and 12” rear discs
  • Falken Azenis 200TW 235/40-18 front tires, 275/35-18 rear tires
  • Alignment- 6.25 degrees caster, 1.5 degrees camber
This combination of parts resulted in a very good handling car. Unlike drag racing where the car with the most HP usually has the fastest car, the same doesn’t hold true on the autocross. Having a properly set up car is probably 75% of the equation. Driver skill is the last piece of the puzzle and is the hardest to make up. There is no replacement for seat time! I’ve never won a big event, nor am I the fastest at any given event. If I were to describe my skill, I’d say I am slightly better than mediocre. My car is always the oldest at my local events and I’m typically within the top 25% of the cars there. Most of which are modern compact cars.

In June 2023, my journey with stock style K-member and suspension ended with the installation of an HDK Suspension K-Member with coil overs and rack and pinion. I honestly didn’t know what to expect. Was I going backwards in my quest to have a 50+ year old car that can hang with modern cars around turns? Was it going to be a night and day difference? There was only one way to find out.

If you have been around the automotive market long enough, chances are you have heard someone say coil overs will be exponentially “better” for your car. But why exactly will this one part make your car better? After all, it’s just a shock with a spring around it. Sure, it can make ride height adjustments easy, but nothing is easier than adjusting the tension on a torsion bar. Fortunately, modern aftermarket suppliers are now manufacturing many options when it comes to larger diameter t-bars and there are plenty of non-adjustable, and adjustable shock options. Therefore, I’d say either option is good from an aftermarket support standpoint. From a assembly/disassembly standpoint, torsion bars can require slightly more work.

So, if we have determined the shock and the spring are the same as a shock and torsion bar, what exactly makes one configuration better or worse than the other? The uninformed won’t know where to go from here, but the big difference is the geometry of the moving components. Chrysler did a good job designing the front suspension. With a FMJ spindle, and a lower ride height, the geometry is pretty darn good. The camber gain with the FMJ spindle has been well documented and can be found online easily. With simply a set up adjustable control arms, you can dial in more caster and camber than you would ever want. Changing the upper ball joint height can further dail in the roll center and camber gain. However, the geometry adjustability pretty much ends with the upper control arm.

Nearly all aftermarket K-Members come with a rack and pinion. By design alone, you will get better steering response. While the Borgeson steering box is a huge improvement over the stock Mopar PS box, the rack is much faster. The Borgeson box is 3.5 turns lock to lock and the rack is 2.5 turns lock to lock. Besides the quicker response, the rack doesn’t have a dead spot in the center position like any steering box will have. There are products out there to quicken the steering box, but I’m not aware of a bolt in solution. This one could go either way based on driver preference because both are good.

Now let’s discuss the HDK suspension. Right away, the adjustability of the lower control arm alone gets a checkmark in the win column over stock components. Just having this one component being adjustable allows track width adjustments, easier caster adjustments, and wheel base adjustments when running aggressive caster. Upper and lower screw in ball joints allow options to use a longer balls joint for dialing roll center adjustments or even opportunity to use non-traditional spindles. More on that later.

Just like almost all coil over conversion for Mopars, the HDK uses a Mustang 2 style spindle. There are many options available when it comes to the M2 spindle. There are inexpensive versions, there’s a Wilwood version that is approximately ½” taller than standard, then there’s a relatively new CPP option that uses the corvette hub and brake assembly. The options for brakes on these spindles seem endless. I chose to use the corvette hub style, mostly to get the much larger sealed bearing and a Wilwood 6 piston caliper. Every car guy wants options, the M2 spindle offers that and it works great for drag racers and cruisers. The biggest problem with the M2 spindle is its very short. HDK remediates some of the height problem by supplying a 1” taller than stock upper ball joint. However, this isn’t enough if you are looking for maximum handling capability. With the shorter spindle, the upper control arm has a downward angle toward the tire. When the suspension compresses, the UCA will push the top of the spindle outward until it gets to the level point before pulling the spindle back in. This results in camber loss. Not a recipe for great handling. The second problem with the UCA having a greater angle than the LCA, is the roll center is in the ground. The short M2 spindle puts a check into the negative column for the coil over conversion, but the good news is, there’s a way to fix this.

The Wilwood spindle will help a little, but it still isn’t tall enough. The first option is to get an even taller upper ball joint. There are several aftermarket ball joint manufacturers that make up to 1” taller ball joints. When it comes time to go beyond that, I was only able to find 2 manufacturers. Howe Racing makes a 1.5” taller and Allstar Performance has a 1.5” and 2” longer option. The pivot point for the UCA and LCA on the inboard side is approximately 12.5” apart. This means the distance between the ball joint pivots needs to be greater than 12.5” to have any chance of getting the control arms into a position that will have a favorable roll center.

In trying to continue using the M2 CPP spindle, I opted for the 2” longer upper ball joint. I was initially concerned about sacrificing strength, but it’s a strong piece. The shank diameter and threads are larger than the 1” longer piece but still has the 7 degree taper. Using the combination of the CPP M2 replacement spindle along with the 2” longer upper ball joint, and the standard lower ball joint supplied by HDK, the ball joint pivots are approximately 13” apart. This gets my roll center to approximately 2.5” above ground.

As of this writing, HDK has been made aware of the 2” longer ball joint and will likely supply it with the kit if requested.

During my quest to refine the geometry, I found Ride Tech is now offering a taller spindle with the corvette hub designed to be used on their Chevelle platform. Based on scaling some pictures found on the internet, it appears the spindle is approximately 2” taller than the standard Mustang 2 spindle. Considering the HDK uses screw in ball joints, even if the Chevelle spindle has a different ball joint taper than the M2, ball joints of the correct taper could be sourced. Like with most GM spindles, the steering arm bolts on. There seems to be endless options on length for this part, so dialing in steering angle would be another adjustable feature. Having a 2” taller spindle will allow use of the ¼”,1/2”,3/4”, and longer ball joints to dial in suspension geometry more precisely. I’m limited now since I’m using the 2” just to get the UCA past parallel.

For the guys that are educated in suspension geometry that state coil over conversion systems don’t have proper camber gain, well, I fixed that. With just the taller ball joint change, the standard HDK camber gain went from .7 degrees at 2” of compression to 1.8 degrees at 2” of compression. The factory suspension with an FMJ spindle is around 1.4 degrees based on an old Mopar Muscle Magazine article. Of course, ride height affects all these measurements so use these values at your own risk.

Back to the question at hand, can the HDK handle better than a T-bar setup? As of this writing, I’m going to say my car is handling better than it ever has. I’ll admit, I never took the time to dial in camber gain and roll center on the factory suspension, so perhaps there are some improvements I left on the table. Let’s just say it’s just as good and move on. The aftermarket doesn’t support our Mopars like other brands, so let’s just embrace the fact that there are companies out there willing to contribute to our brand.

Coil over conversions will never be for everyone. If you’re a die-hard t-bar guy and think coil over conversions are bad, I’d like for you to come ride with me around the cones. I plan to be at every Moparty running Grand Champion as long as I’m vertical. Come introduce yourself and let’s go for a ride. I promise you will have a grin from ear to ear after the first corner.

What LCA bushings with the TB’s? Adjustable strut rods?

I wonder how much difference the adjustable shocks made. I remember you really liking them.

I think it is interesting that your work on this highlighted that as designed the suspension did not have better geometry than the stock suspension. It’s not exactly apples to apples but I would bet most of the other COC kits out there have the same camber gain and roll center issues despite the sales tag “better handling”. I did go back and look at Jared’s YT build with the QA1 kit and it looked to have extended BJ’s so maybe QA1 did some homework. But I would bet the rest didn’t.

I don't have a problem with coilover conversions, I just feel that they aren't for me. I like building stuff myself and learning along the way. I also like the unique feel of torsion bars and I get a kick out of knowing I'm driving a car with suspension that was designed 60 years ago but has ~90% the capability of modern stuff. Lastly, my car isn't at the point where I've maxed-out the suspension and need to convert to HDK, AlterK, etc. to reach my goals. I'll "never say never" to COC on a Mopar but there are few scenarios where I'd consider it and better handling wouldn't be one of the reasons. Honestly I'd probably look at converting to rear multi-link coilovers before the front, if I did.

I love classic Mopars because of the engineering and tech put into them from the factory. Torsion bar suspension with advanced (for the day) geometry, offset forward-control leaf springs, effective unibody design, interesting engine tech... IMO those are the kinds of things that make Mopars cool and unique. I have no issue with people who want to upgrade those things to work better but what I find irritating is the "this is old and needs to be changed because it'll always be trash no matter what" mentality.

Also great point about the seat time and driving experience... No point in having an excellent-handling car if you don't have the skills to make use of it.

I get the feeling this will get messy. But thanks for writing up an overview of your car and what you’ve done (very nice work) with both styles of front suspension. To say one is better than the other is ridiculous because there are so many variables to consider, and most of those are subjective. It would be interesting to hear lap times from your car with you driving, on the same track, with both styles of front end and compare the data. Any chance you’ve done that?
I agree TT5.9Mag,

I have heard a lot of dissenting opinions since converting to a full RMS suspension system myself of how the factory stuff was better.

What I've never heard of or seen is someone converting back to T-Bar/leaf spring / stock steering from an RMS or HDK system.

I know it will and I'm prepared to have a civilized conversation with anyone about it. I'm not going to engage with stupidity. I have over 1000 miles on the HDK now along with nearly 50 autocross runs. I feel like I can answer any questions someone may have and if I can't, I'm not going to make something up to fit the agenda.
The variables are infinite especially if you factor driver skill and style into the equation. Don't forget that many of the opinions come from people without real data to back up their claims.
Unfortunately I don't have back to back data on the same course. Autocross courses change every month. That's one of the challenges that come with it. The only way I can judge it to compare my times to the regulars that have been doing it forever. This past weekend I finally beat a veteran driver (40+ years) in a 99 Mustang with an IRS rear setup. I've come super close to him, but never beat him. Sunday I put nearly a 1/2 second on him. At least 5 people came up to me after my first run with unsolicited comments on how much better it looks. They didn't know what I did, but they saw it.
Moparty typically has a very similar course every year. There's also many of the same guys every year. That should be a good comparison.

Last edited:
What LCA bushings with the TB’s? Adjustable strut rods?

I wonder how much difference the adjustable shocks made. I remember you really liking them.

I think it is interesting that your work on this highlighted that as designed the suspension did not have better geometry than the stock suspension. It’s not exactly apples to apples but I would bet most of the other COC kits out there have the same camber gain and roll center issues despite the sales tag “better handling”. I did go back and look at Jared’s YT build with the QA1 kit and it looked to have extended BJ’s so maybe QA1 did some homework. But I would bet the rest didn’t.
Strut rods are listed, they are QA1s. The bushings were poly.

As good as the Hotchkiss non-adjustable shocks are, adjustable shocks are awesome and I recommend them to anyone wanting to get more out of their setup. I'll admit I didn't optimize the t-bar stuff, but it was pretty damn good. My knowledge level wasn't what it is now, so I didn't know what I didn't know.

I can't comment on the QA1 kit because I don't know where there LCA mounts as compared to the HDK. Is it higher or lower, I don't know. I think that kit uses the Wilwood spindle which is 1/2" taller than a standard M2. If their LCA mount is higher then maybe the 1/2" taller spindle and 1" taller BJ is sufficient. However, it depends on if you use the 2" lower spindle or stock and ride height. All that has a major effect on geometry. I'd love for someone to measure their QA1 to give the people what they want...Data....

I don't have a problem with coilover conversions, I just feel that they aren't for me. I like building stuff myself and learning along the way. I also like the unique feel of torsion bars and I get a kick out of knowing I'm driving a car with suspension that was designed 60 years ago but has ~90% the capability of modern stuff. Lastly, my car isn't at the point where I've maxed-out the suspension and need to convert to HDK, AlterK, etc. to reach my goals. I'll "never say never" to COC on a Mopar but there are few scenarios where I'd consider it and better handling wouldn't be one of the reasons. Honestly I'd probably look at converting to rear multi-link coilovers before the front, if I did.

I love classic Mopars because of the engineering and tech put into them from the factory. Torsion bar suspension with advanced (for the day) geometry, offset forward-control leaf springs, effective unibody design, interesting engine tech... IMO those are the kinds of things that make Mopars cool and unique. I have no issue with people who want to upgrade those things to work better but what I find irritating is the "this is old and needs to be changed because it'll always be trash no matter what" mentality.

Also great point about the seat time and driving experience... No point in having an excellent-handling car if you don't have the skills to make use of it.
Agree 100%, the t-bar setup we have for our cars is awesome and very impressive. It would still be in my car today if Denny didn't present the opportunity to me. It's been a lot of work getting it dialed in, but I'm very happy now. The problem with everything being adjustable, is everything is adjustable. I'm assuming most people wing it and wherever the tire lands, it lives. That guy isn't me.

I agree TT5.9Mag,

I have heard a lot of dissenting opinions since converting to a full RMS suspension system myself of how the factory stuff was better.

What I've never heard of or seen is someone converting back to T-Bar/leaf spring / stock steering from an RMS or HDK system.
No way my stock stuff is going back in! I am still running leaf springs though.

thers already a thousand threads on this crap.. lock this down and search and you'll get all the differen't opinions..

I have put approx. 6000 miles on my car since upgrading the suspension to a RMS Alterkation front and Streetlynx rear setup with Viking double adjustable shocks on each corner , 1.25" front sway bar, 7/8" rear sway bar. United frame rail connectors , front lower rad support, 4 torque boxes.
I have never autocrossed the car (no tracks here to do it) but I do drive it hard when I get the opportunity on very twisty roads outside the city.

I continually cruise with this Shelby.

Check the ride heights
He can get me in the straightaways (690 hp/6 speed) but I'm allover him in the corners.
Best performance mod I have done to my car to date!

To each his own but I'll never go back.

1705434077351.jpeg

1705434170188.jpeg

1705434220558.jpeg

thers already a thousand threads on this crap.. losk this down and search and you'll get all the differen't opinions..

Threads with back to back info? Not just “I ripped my worn out suspension out and did a COC and it handled better” opinions?

Far as I know, Joe is the first that I am aware of to go from an improved and in good shape TB to a COC. And the first to do the homework to show the geometry isn’t as great as the sales guy claims.

Strut rods are listed, they are QA1s. The bushings were poly.

As good as the Hotchkiss non-adjustable shocks are, adjustable shocks are awesome and I recommend them to anyone wanting to get more out of their setup. I'll admit I didn't optimize the t-bar stuff, but it was pretty damn good. My knowledge level wasn't what it is now, so I didn't know what I didn't know.

I can't comment on the QA1 kit because I don't know where there LCA mounts as compared to the HDK. Is it higher or lower, I don't know. I think that kit uses the Wilwood spindle which is 1/2" taller than a standard M2. If their LCA mount is higher then maybe the 1/2" taller spindle and 1" taller BJ is sufficient. However, it depends on if you use the 2" lower spindle or stock and ride height. All that has a major effect on geometry. I'd love for someone to measure their QA1 to give the people what they want...Data....

Ugh. I read it multiple times before I asked, too. I would blame the pain pills but I stopped taking them a couple of weeks ago.

i agree that the other kits aren’t easy to comment on. I would guess the LCA mounts are similar since I suspect the rack to oilpan clearance kind of drives it, but just a guess. Still makes me think most of the people running a COC kit only care about exhaust clearance or didn’t have a good TB suspension before hand. And really, most people couldn’t put their finger on what “good handling” is beyond that it feels better on an on-ramp.

Either way, you found a way to improve on what you were given. Nice.

The k frame by itself does not help a car handle any better at all. Zero. All it does is support other parts of the suspension and the engine. It all depends on what kind of parts you bolt ON those different style k frames as to what type of handling you end up with.

An aftermarket style k frame certainly can be made with a suspension that can handle much better than the factory equipment, but remember, it's all about a matched package, very similar to an engine build. Using an aftermarket k frame and retaining torsion bars and stock control arms for example, may not net much of a handling difference from a well thought out stock system. Yet, I've seen people do it.

Just like a well thought out stock style system might out handle the pants off of something that's aftermarket but not well put together. Don't forget that the stock style suspension systems in these cars have won literally ALL kinds of motorsports events through history. It's harder to improve upon the factory system than you might think.

If I was going with the HDK setup for example, I'd go all the way with it. I'd use his control arms, coil overs, whatever brakes and sway bars he recommended. It's a complete package. That's how you'll see the best results, IMO.

thers already a thousand threads on this crap.. lock this down and search and you'll get all the differen't opinions..
I'm not aware of any that discuss geometry correction. If there are some out there, please point me in the correct direction. This thread wasn't meant to be a pissing contest.

The k frame by itself does not help a car handle any better at all. Zero. All it does is support other parts of the suspension and the engine. It all depends on what kind of parts you bolt ON those different style k frames as to what type of handling you end up with.

An aftermarket style k frame certainly can be made with a suspension that can handle much better than the factory equipment, but remember, it's all about a matched package, very similar to an engine build. Using an aftermarket k frame and retaining torsion bars and stock control arms for example, may not net much of a handling difference from a well thought out stock system. Yet, I've seen people do it.

Just like a well thought out stock style system might out handle the pants off of something that's aftermarket but not well put together. Don't forget that the stock style suspension systems in these cars have won literally ALL kinds of motorsports events through history. It's harder to improve upon the factory system than you might think.

If I was going with the HDK setup for example, I'd go all the way with it. I'd use his control arms, coil overs, whatever brakes and sway bars he recommended. It's a complete package. That's how you'll see the best results, IMO.

I have his complete package. Denny's kit works with any M2 spindle. I have a couple items that differ from his standard A-body kit. I now have his B-Body LCAs because they are longer and I wanted to widen the track width more than I felt comfortable with having the A-body LCAs adjusted. He also make me a new sway bar to clear large offset wheels. As mentioned, I've added a 2" taller upper ball joint, And lastly, I'm using SPC upper control arms not because I have to, because I want to and I had them. Alignments are much easier with fully adjustable UCAs.

@MopaR&D , "Honestly I'd probably look at converting to rear multi-link coilovers before the front, if I did."

Thats where I'd be at. I don't have the coin to do a Gen3 swap anyway, and I kind of like the "original" look under the hood, so I'd end up starting at the rear.

I'm not aware of any that discuss geometry correction. If there are some out there, please point me in the correct direction. This thread wasn't meant to be a pissing contest.

go through the thousand threads on this stuff already posted.. blue72 has a ton of info on it.. theres tons of info in all those different threads. they sould all be combined to make it easy to see..

and just for the record i'm a believer in thre RMS system.. had the front and rear in my old dart. i don't care what steering box one may have it will never feel like the rack in the car.... in the end the cost really isn't that far off between doing a stock stle correctly and going aftermarket suspension.. people like to say there is but in the grand scheme of things there isn't.

I have put approx. 6000 miles on my car since upgrading the suspension to a RMS Alterkation front and Streetlynx rear setup with Viking double adjustable shocks on each corner , 1.25" front sway bar, 7/8" rear sway bar. United frame rail connectors , front lower rad support, 4 torque boxes.
I have never autocrossed the car (no tracks here to do it) but I do drive it hard when I get the opportunity on very twisty roads outside the city.

I continually cruise with this Shelby.

Check the ride heights
He can get me in the straightaways (690 hp/6 speed) but I'm allover him in the corners.
Best performance mod I have done to my car to date!

To each his own but I'll never go back.

View attachment 1716193276

View attachment 1716193277

View attachment 1716193278

Ever swapped cars with the Shelby guy? Curious how things would compare if the driver is removed from the equation.

Not something I would do myself, to be honest. I have a rule about driving other people’s car, even more so on a curvy road chasing someone.

go through the thousand threads on this stuff already posted.. blue72 has a ton of info on it.. theres tons of info in all those different threads. they sould all be combined to make it easy to see..

and just for the record i'm a believer in thre RMS system.. had the front and rear in my old dart. i don't care what steering box one may have it will never feel like the rack in the car.... in the end the cost really isn't that far off between doing a stock stle correctly and going aftermarket suspension.. people like to say there is but in the grand scheme of things there isn't.
The rust bucket. It was such a cool car. I hated to see it go.

While I haven’t read or been part of all the threads, no one that I have seen has ever calculated the roll center. It’s actually part of what Blu has asked for, for literally years. Better geometry is claimed but no one has ever post any data until this thread.

Maybe someone with an RMS would be willing to take some measurements so we could calculate their roll center?

The other part I am curious about is scrub radius. It’s a separate and different aspect, not really related to a COC, just something that I tripped over while working on something else.

Thank you for your contributions here.
Every article and thread on these conversions is the same except yours....Someone replaces a worn out original setup with these shiny aftermarket kits, then RAVES about how great the car is.
This is different.
While I have no direct experience with the aftermarket systems, I trust those that have and the critics of both.
I don't see the advantage of these expensive conversions. The ones I've read from have stated that there was no measurable advantage of them on a race track other than a drag strip where access was improved for the oil pan and headers. Guys that turn corners don't pull their oil pans off 3 times a week nor do they change headers to run tip top at varying events where conditions change.
If the OP has found an actual improvement in the lap times of back to back events, that is hard data to support the value of the system.
I'd argue that these lack the long term durability of a stock based torsion bar system but nobody I know drives these cars 30,000 miles a year on bad roads so that may be a moot point.
I do see a difference in the K members that appears like it favors the stock system in terms of stiffness and durability.
The aftermarket stuff does look nice. It weighs less. If steering response is better, I can appreciate that but the Borgeson units I've installed don't have that center slop that even a fresh rebuilt Firm Feel unit has.
In short, the OP seems to have come closest to an even playing field for comparison of stock based versus aftermarket. For that, you have my respect and thanks.

-
Back