Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
Morning men. So about 2pm yesterday my wife calls from work, "Help, my car wont start". So I drive 40 minutes, have a small Generator and a fast charger, 2017 Edge sport. Keyless ignition. . So, I get there, no way to unlock to car, the battery is dead and there is no key hole to unlock. Wait!! ye there is a key hole, you just have to pry off a cover on the door handle! There it is!! Next, she parked so close to the wall in front, can get the hood opened. AND cant get it out of gear with a dead battery. Sum *****!! Electric parking brake. O yea as soon as I opened the car, sure enough the headlight switch was on. Had to pull the damn thing back with a chain and my truck, dragging the tires, Get the hood opened, smooth from there. What a ***** all electric everything. Charged the Batt, checked the ALT, was fine.
Wow!! She left the headlights on?

Morning men. So about 2pm yesterday my wife calls from work, "Help, my car wont start". So I drive 40 minutes, have a small Generator and a fast charger, 2017 Edge sport. Keyless ignition. . So, I get there, no way to unlock to car, the battery is dead and there is no key hole to unlock. Wait!! ye there is a key hole, you just have to pry off a cover on the door handle! There it is!! Next, she parked so close to the wall in front, can get the hood opened. AND cant get it out of gear with a dead battery. Sum *****!! Electric parking brake. O yea as soon as I opened the car, sure enough the headlight switch was on. Had to pull the damn thing back with a chain and my truck, dragging the tires, Get the hood opened, smooth from there. What a ***** all electric everything. Charged the Batt, checked the ALT, was fine.

I hate that they have removed the key from the passenger door (cost saving... :mad: :icon_fU:)....

When I wrecked my Impala, the driver's fender got pushed back and I could not open the driver's door... When I drove it home, the headlight stayed on (the other one was taken out n the accident) ... I had to unplug the headlight so it didn't drain my battery as with no way to unlock the door with a dead battery, I couldn't get in my car as the driver door was not an option... I couldn't open the hood as it was too damaged from the accident... :icon_fU: :mad:

I hate cost reductions.... :mad: :mob:

If you haven't noticed back around 2003, Chrysler removed the tint strip along the top of the windshield as a cost reduction... :icon_fU: :mad:

I think that's total bs.... :bs_flag:

Last edited:
thanks brother, i understand this, exactly as posted, was wondering if i can change it to volt meter without changing the looks, where the charge deflection on the right side could represent voltage NOW instead of amps and discharge represent something like less than 12.5 volts

Volts won't tell you how much you are charging as much as amps will.... I prefer amps to see how much my alternator is putting out...

However, I like to use both volts and amps to see what's happening in my electrical system....

thanks brother, i understand this, exactly as posted, was wondering if i can change it to volt meter without changing the looks, where the charge deflection on the right side could represent voltage NOW instead of amps and discharge represent something like less than 12.5 volts

I think there's some guys that have done it. You have to measyre how far the sweep is on the original gauge (90°?) and find a aftermarket gauge with the same sweep. I think pulling the needle off without damage is the hard part. Let me see if I can find a link.

Volt meters require infinite resistance to measure the volts, ammeters require 'zero' resistance to measure current flow accurately without adding to the resistance to get an accurate reading....

You learn that in circuits 101 when taking engineering (both mechanical and electrical engineering)....

Those are a joke if the batt is completely dead. No way they can supply the kind of amperage needed to start with flat Batt.
They are inductors and capacitors, enough to start the car. Some build up charge off of a low battery (& wouldn’t work like you said) but some come with a battery as well.-should work

Volts won't tell you how much you are charging as much as amps will.... I prefer amps to see how much my alternator is putting out...

However, I like to use both volts and amps to see what's happening in my electrical system....
I like the idea of a shunt amp meter vice measuring ALL of the current flowing, but am ignorant at this level.

Well, I am in a charity golf tournament today, I hope I don't embarrass myself to much, Later, friends. :thumbsup:

dea690b5133da8769cb8a36005c52950.jpg

tightass.jpg

They are not designed to do an instant jump, they just allow you to slowly charge the battery and/or get enough power to operated the electrical systems like doors, etc.

And they do work to get enough power to start the car. My SRT battery was dead and I used ours to get enough charge back to start it. It took about 20 mins of connection before it fired up.
I was sure they are for ‘instant jump’ ignition. The BIG (battery size) portable chargers charge the battery up.

Volt meters require infinite resistance to measure the volts, ammeters require 'zero' resistance to measure current flow accurately without adding to the resistance to get an accurate reading....

You learn that in circuits 101 when taking engineering (both mechanical and electrical engineering)....
How can anything but glass give you infinite resistance in a circuit?

I can. I love my wife, and she me, but she doesn't appreciate the mopar budget competing with her spending.
The wife walked around the house (where she had not for years) and discovered a second road runner (had been there for 7 months). Didn't have clue one about it. BOY did she come back hot and loaded! (the car cost me two $500 payments and replaced a bad runner i had purchased years ago.) I just said, "SURPRISE!"

I once went in my basement and saw a Calico Cat run in the closet and up in the rafters above my office... I then went to the wife and asked her what a Calico Cat was doing in our house (that made 5 cats at that time)...

She asked, "what Calico Cat"???

I replied, "Don't play dumb, I know I saw a Calico Cat in the basement"...

She then came clean and told me that she adopted it from the humane society when she got the other cat named Fritz... Fritz was sponsored on the local news station and she just had to have Fritz... Even through someone else was there to adopt him, she beat him to it... She also decided to get the Calico also...

The Calico was very shy and took a long time to warm up to us and come out from hiding, but turned out to be a very sweet cat...

And you can charge the Battery but no way you are going to jump start thru those small wires going to the power point. The charger I was using is a charger/starter. But you have a point, I could have got it out of gear and released the brake. got hood open then....Good thinking....

What did the elephant say when he saw a naked man in the jungle???

"How do you breathe through that little thing"??? :rolleyes:

They are not designed to do an instant jump, they just allow you to slowly charge the battery and/or get enough power to operated the electrical systems like doors, etc.

And they do work to get enough power to start the car. My SRT battery was dead and I used ours to get enough charge back to start it. It took about 20 mins of connection before it fired up.

I would prefer to use jumper cables for quicker results...

I hate that they have removed the key from the passenger door (cost saving... :mad: :icon_fU:)....

When I wrecked my Impala, the driver's fender got pushed back and I could not open the driver's door... When I drove it home, the headlight stayed on (the other one was taken out n the accident) ... I had to unplug the headlight so it didn't drain my battery as with no way to unlock the door with a dead battery, I couldn't get in my car as the driver door was not an option... I couldn't open the hood as it was too damaged from the accident... :icon_fU: :mad:

I hate cost reductions.... :mad: :mob:

If you haven't noticed back around 2003, Chrysler removed the tint strip along the top of the windshield as a cost reduction... :icon_fU: :mad:

I think that's total bs.... :bs_flag:

Another cost reduction that actually bit them in the @ss was to remove the secondary locks on the electrical connections... The latch that locks the connectors together and keeps them from coming apart...

Well, within two weeks, the car plants had too many "non connections" and they had to pay the supplier to come in and put the secondary locks in the electrical harnesses that we had in house while they put them back in on the new stock coming in... :realcrazy: :mad:

Either the connections were not properly made, or they came undone without the locks in them... :BangHead:

Luckily they kept the feature in for the locks and didn't remove them from the tooling and were able to install the locks on the harnesses when they found out it wasn't a good idea...

Sometimes they go too far with the cost reductions and hurt functionality or quality or both...
I loved seeing that one bite them in the ***... :lol:

I like the idea of a shunt amp meter vice measuring ALL of the current flowing, but am ignorant at this level.

You can convert one to the other, but it's been so long since I had the circuits class that I forgot exactly how to do it... Our professor explained it in class...

How can anything but glass give you infinite resistance in a circuit?

A good insulator will give you the required resistance...

To measure volts, you are measuring the pressure and do not need electricity to flow... It is also connected in parallel so it doesn't prevent the regular circuit/amps flow...

Ammeters are connected in series and can impede current flow or even stop it if it sees too much resistance...

I would prefer to use jumper cables for quicker results...
Space limitations and/or how a vehicle is parked can make using traditional jumper cables problematic. This device can be used in those situations.

It’s another tool in the toolbox. Just like having more than one kind of wrench.

I'm sure there is someone who can do that. Redfish might have a better idea about who would have that level of skill.
The gage would be a lie of course, so would be confusing to anyone who didn't know. Of course most people don't know what the ammeter does, especially since most mopar ones are labeled alternator. :BangHead:
ToolmanMike's voltmeter in the lighter plug is probably the handiest way to have an idea of system voltage at the driver's seat.

-
Back