Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
Late one.

Decided to forego the additional transmission cooler at this point. I'm just cruising the car and reverting back to the original cooling line routing is allowing for the other cables to follow their correct path as well

View attachment 1716021265

View attachment 1716021266

View attachment 1716021267

View attachment 1716021268

View attachment 1716021269
If you’re cruising it, I’d for sure add the larger cooler. The push buttons run a bit hotter than the non pushbuttons. The factory cooler really doesn’t work very well. Especially in hilly roads or stop and go traffic. What I would do at a minimum is a pan with fins to act as a heat shrink, then put a sensor in and monitor those trans temps. You could route it up and hide in the glove box or ash tray even. Then if youre seeing high temps, add the larger cooler

OK.

Getting at this later today

We will see if the jiig works out

20221209_213548.jpg

20221209_212326.jpg

My great uncle Don was big in Geology.... He taught me how to play chess when I was 5 years old...

Bloss would graduate from the University of Chicago with bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees, respectively, in 1947, 1949, and 1951. He served as a professor of geology at the University of Tennessee from 1951 to 1957 and at Southern Illinois University from 1957 to 1967, before coming to Blacksburg.

His textbooks on optical crystallography, crystallography, and crystal chemistry, the first published in 1961, were used worldwide, and have since been acknowledged by fellow geologists as ‘classics,’ according to his obituary. Among his many awards are honors from the State Microscopical Societies of Illinois, Minnesota, and New York, and an Ernst Abbe Memorial Award from the New York Microscopical Society in 1988. The University of New Mexico selected Bloss as the State of New Mexico’s first endowed visiting chair, the Caswell Silver Distinguished Visiting Professor of Geology from 1981 to 1982. In addition, the mineral blossite was named in his honor.

Bloss also wrote a number of nonscientific books, most notably five books on his lifelong hobby, chess.

In memoriam: Don Bloss, first professor to be honored as Alumni Distinguished Professor at Virginia Tech

View attachment 1716021292
That’s pretty cool

If you’re cruising it, I’d for sure add the larger cooler. The push buttons run a bit hotter than the non pushbuttons. The factory cooler really doesn’t work very well. Especially in hilly roads or stop and go traffic. What I would do at a minimum is a pan with fins to act as a heat shrink, then put a sensor in and monitor those trans temps. You could route it up and hide in the glove box or ash tray even. Then if youre seeing high temps, add the larger cooler

Have the deep pan on the trams now but yeah, I need to get the temp gauge... I don't have a point of reference on operating range

"The. Plan"

20221211_202059.jpg

Have the deep pan on the trams now but yeah, I need to get the temp gauge... I don't have a point of reference on operating range
180-185 over long distances. 200 on like drag strips or something won’t kill it, you just don’t want it being that high sustained over time. Keep in mind, not only is there one pump but two, so they run hotter than most 67 and up 727s

The problem with radiator encapsulated trans coolers is heat transfer. Your coolant is gonna be at the high end of the acceptable range for the transmission all the time, if not higher. Which is why finned trans pans became so popular. My Polara uses a converted AC condenser for a trans cooler.

180-185 over long distances. 200 on like drag strips or something won’t kill it, you just don’t want it being that high sustained over time. Keep in mind, not only is there one pump but two, so they run hotter than most 67 and up 727s

The rebuilt trans is actually a 65 single pump.

So I’m curious how/if this will work. 63-64 shifters had a unique pattern that separates them from all other years. The rooster combs for the shift cables being totally different and not having the same park function. I know you can’t use a 62 transmission with a 63/64 shifter but I’m not sure if you can use a 63/64 on a 65. 65s were one year wonders and not many mess with them.

So I’m curious how/if this will work. 63-64 shifters had a unique pattern that separates them from all other years. The rooster combs for the shift cables being totally different and not having the same park function. I know you can’t use a 62 transmission with a 63/64 shifter but I’m not sure if you can use a 63/64 on a 65. 65s were one year wonders and not many mess with them.

Hmm... might be an expensive experiment

The "new" was a pushbutton originally... If you recall, that's where I had the issue with that long tail shaft (Karl??) so it now has my original 64 extension on it.

I'm saying 65 based on the ID stamp...

Curiouser and Curiouser

I'll have to run video in case it all detonates...
3 year warranty though

Them push buttons is one of the reasons I won't mess with A body prior to '66

My Grandmother had a 63? Dodge 300. I was like 7 years old and thought that push button thing was kinda weird

It's kinda genius from an engineering perspective but I bet the mechanics of the day cursed Chrysler every time one pulled up to the shop

Edit to add:

There is a very big knowledge gap on these things though... kinda like the crazy cousin you don't mention at family gatherings.

The standard maintenance question response is usually "put a 4 speed in it"

Morning Monday MOPAR builders!!
Had a great weekend in Kansas City.
My buddy Ted former KC Chiefs player picked me up Saturday morning and I went with him to a local sporting goods store for a shop with a Chief.
I was the only non-Chief helping out.
Inner city kids with another players mentoring program each got a $150 gift card to spend.
We walked with them and a parent while they shopped all the way through checkout.
We had two young boys, brothers, polite well-mannered and a blast to be with.
One boy was trying to keep track of his selections to make sure he stayed within his $150. He really wanted a jersey and I told him to put it in the cart and we'd figure it out at checkout. We get to checkout, and he was $80 over. With a look on his face, he told his mom he'd put the jersey back. I told him no it's your lucky day and I paid the over for him and his brother.
Had a lot of fun met some football legends and Hall of Famers who thanked me for helping the kids out. Hey that's what it's all about!!

Last edited:
Hmm... might be an expensive experiment

The "new" was a pushbutton originally... If you recall, that's where I had the issue with that long tail shaft (Karl??) so it now has my original 64 extension on it.

I'm saying 65 based on the ID stamp...

Curiouser and Curiouser

I'll have to run video in case it all detonates...
3 year warranty though
It won’t blow up, just not shift

Researching for you, you Might Be ok. Seems 65 shares the same shift pattern

I need to consolidate all the stuff you have and others and put together a reference manual... the 64 TSM has some good stuff but I've seen some variations in my Motors Manual... maybe tech bulletin updates caused changes

-
Back