t5 trans swap?

-
i cant imagne adapting the ford fork to the bell housing but congrats,,,also any pics of the master ?/? do you know the bore size and the travel of the master bore ?

737jetdr, you mentioned McCleod's #1302, their website lists this part as a bolt on hydraulic bearing for a GM BorgWarner T5.

They list a slip on bearing #1400-30 as the one for a Ford BorgWarner T5.

Just wondering what your experiences are with them, or anyone else who has used either of these part #'s, and the difference between using the bolt on's vs. the slip ons. I know a lot of the T5 stuff is interchangeable, so maybe someone could expand on this.

thanks all

http://www.mcleodind.com/application_guide_pgs/HYDTOB_BoltOn.html

I may have picked the wrong one from the list. I only thought that they had a slip on one for the ford T5. I was only implying that the hydraulic t.o. bearing eliminates a few other components and is a lot cleaner installation. I believe someone else is using a similiar style hyd t.o. bearing made by another company. If my slave cylinder doesn't hold up i will probably change to the hyd t.o. bearing. They have been using them on Ford rangers and other cars for years now.

im working on researching this swap for my duster.

all the photobucket links that gmachine posted no longer work, as i was wondering if you could repost them?

also, are there any better pictures of the torsion bar crossmember mods required with the z-spec? thats what ill be using, as ive got a line on one for cheap.

good to hear another member has had success! the one guy doing the mechanical clutch linkage swap (me) has still yet to complete without problems....i still have to make up that bracket to support the flexing, but not that it matters since the car doesnt even run yet and is going into storage very soon

Did you ever get the mechanical linkage figured out?
I just might do the same swap in my 73.
Do you have a parts list?
I am on a buget like everybody else.
Thanks

Did you ever get the mechanical linkage figured out?
I just might do the same swap in my 73.
Do you have a parts list?
I am on a buget like everybody else.
Thanks

yes i did, with lots of hours and work later...may not be worth it if you arent doing it yourself...the bellhousing itself is inherently the problem..the parts list isnt very big either

transmission and shifter, handle and boot
clutch (i got a ford one and drilled my flywheel for the ford pattern)
bellhousing (you'll have to fab a ballstud bracket since quicktime's design is garbage and the bell will flex)
Throwout bearing for what i believe is a 96 cherokee 4.0L (fits the input of t5 and mopar fork)
speedo cable modified with ford tranny input, chrysler speedo input (lots of junkyard searching and modding)
transmission mount and modified transmission crossmember

prices will vary accordingly to what you have access to

if further interested pm me.

oh and for the record, the t5 broke and im putting an 833 in the car lol

alll that trouble and the T 5 broke??? what happened to it??? was it fresh or used T 5 ??

alll that trouble and the T 5 broke??? what happened to it??? was it fresh or used T 5 ??

used, i would never buy a brand new t5, thats insane lol...it actually wasnt that hard to swap it in, required some slight fabbing, but it was worth it.. I had overdrive for a season and had maybe 500 bucks into the whole swap, so the way i look at it is once i fix it and sell it to an ingenius mustang guy, ill recoup some of the 4 speed costs

how did you break it?? beating it?? seeing what it would take ???? why not look for a decent condition T 5 ?? or repair the one you broke,, so u can still have that O,D...

used, i would never buy a brand new t5, thats insane lol...it actually wasnt that hard to swap it in, required some slight fabbing, but it was worth it.. I had overdrive for a season and had maybe 500 bucks into the whole swap, so the way i look at it is once i fix it and sell it to an ingenius mustang guy, ill recoup some of the 4 speed costs

I know I ragged you about it.....but it wasn't a dumb swap. Havin that OD on a street car I'm sure came in handy. I wonder if the T5 could be upgraded to last? I mean......you already have the stuff to do the swap.

how did you break it?? beating it?? seeing what it would take ???? why not look for a decent condition T 5 ?? or repair the one you broke,, so u can still have that O,D...

no i wasnt beating on it, went for a 2 to 3 shift on the street and bye bye....ive never powershifted it either...only abuse it ever saw was dumping the clutch at 3500rpm off the two step...besides, ive already sold the bell, clutch, shifter, etc....im done with t5's

I know I ragged you about it.....but it wasn't a dumb swap. Havin that OD on a street car I'm sure came in handy. I wonder if the T5 could be upgraded to last? I mean......you already have the stuff to do the swap.

LOL honestly man, it wasnt because i planed on upgrading to a tko, but i just dont have the money for that...Ive realized that strength is more important than overdrive for me, so ive decided to go A833...As much as I ran the t5, i would never spend 2k on the g-force or astro gears for one because at the end of the day its still an inherently weak t5

All i need left to complete the 4 speed swap is the hump, speedo cable, and transmission mount...the rest ive already collected...can't wait to shift that V-gate with my foot on the gas baby!:-D

no i wasnt beating on it, went for a 2 to 3 shift on the street and bye bye....ive never powershifted it either...only abuse it ever saw was dumping the clutch at 3500rpm off the two step...besides, ive already sold the bell, clutch, shifter, etc....im done with t5's

LOL honestly man, it wasnt because i planed on upgrading to a tko, but i just dont have the money for that...Ive realized that strength is more important than overdrive for me, so ive decided to go A833...As much as I ran the t5, i would never spend 2k on the g-force or astro gears for one because at the end of the day its still an inherently weak t5

All i need left to complete the 4 speed swap is the hump, speedo cable, and transmission mount...the rest ive already collected...can't wait to shift that V-gate with my foot on the gas baby!:-D

thats kool,,a V GATE HUH should be intresting ,,didnt u have a hump with the T 5 ??

no hump with the t5, just a heated up and smashed floor to create some dimples for it fit up nicely

if you get a hump out of a car,,and not a repop heres a little trick i came up with to make placement easier,,,,

i cut the hump out of the donor car and i cut up to and encluding where the gas pedal bolt holes were in the floor,,then i lined up the holes from the hump with the holes on my floor,,made my marks and cut from below, left enough metal to cut and fold it up in to the hump to try and not have gaps that i would have to fill

if you get a hump out of a car,,and not a repop heres a little trick i came up with to make placement easier,,,,

i cut the hump out of the donor car and i cut up to and encluding where the gas pedal bolt holes were in the floor,,then i lined up the holes from the hump with the holes on my floor,,made my marks and cut from below, left enough metal to cut and fold it up in to the hump to try and not have gaps that i would have to fill

thats good tip, thanks! i doubt i will be getting it out of a donor car as there isnt many around here at all, but if i do i will use that trick

Bring this back to life, but i just started gathering parts for this swap.

I just bought a quicktime mopar- TKO/TR3550/mustang T5 bellhousing.

I see that Mshred didnt have great luck with his swap, but I'm not building a drag car, and the T5 should hold up under a lightened pro-touring duster.

2 summers in my Dart on a T5 that I rebuilt myself with no issues. I love my overdrive. I am actually going to build a second T5 with a taller 2.95 first gear. Hoping to be able to get a little track time at Putnam Park Raceway next summer. Go with a hydraulic throwout bearing from Ram clutch. Flawless clutch actuation. p/n 78130. Good luck.

http://www.ramclutches.com/Products/street_hyd_release_bearing.htm

2 summers in my Dart on a T5 that I rebuilt myself with no issues. I love my overdrive. I am actually going to build a second T5 with a taller 2.95 first gear. Hoping to be able to get a little track time at Putnam Park Raceway next summer. Go with a hydraulic throwout bearing from Ram clutch. Flawless clutch actuation. p/n 78130. Good luck.

Thanks, right now after some research the plan is looking to be a 1990+ fox body T5 which should handle the engine i'm getting together without much trouble(assuming i dont powershift it to death)

Then in a year or two i'm gonna save up and decide if i want to do a built T5 or go for a reman. TKO so i can run some N20 on it. :happy1:. Either way, the 1990+ fox T5 will work for now and have the car setup to go bigger when i feel its necessary.

I'm definitely going for the hydraulic setup. My car is an auto now and it seems like the hydraulic setup is just easier to fit in the car.

American Powertrain will have a Cobra Spec T5 in a Demon by the end of the week, complete with a turn key cross member, one of our White Lightning billet offset shifters in the original hole and a new small block to T5 aluminum bell. I hope to have pics by Friday.

We can build these gearboxes for up to 500ft-lbs and they fit a lot better than the TKO. Questions welcome.

can you sell just the crossmember?
i already have a line on a used T5 and a bell to modify.

what price is your whole kit?

and can you post pictures, complete with t-bar and floor pan mods? id like to really compare it to the TKO swaps, apples to apples.

Michael

can you sell just the crossmember?
i already have a line on a used T5 and a bell to modify.

what price is your whole kit?

and can you post pictures, complete with t-bar and floor pan mods? id like to really compare it to the TKO swaps, apples to apples.

Michael

I will be posting pictures. We have already done some significant test fitting to get the dims on the cross member and shifter and it will clearly fit a heck of a lot better than the TKO. On the TKO, the lug transfer area (where the single shift rail transfers into three rail lugs) is right where the torsion bar cross member is. This is an area of the gearbox that cannot be modified, which means significant cutting on the car. The main case is also bigger than the tunnel by a big margin.

The T5 single rail system fits under the torsion bar cross member and the main case is a lot smaller. This translates into a lot less cutting. With our shifter installed I think we are going to get away with no cutting.

Although we generally sell complete kits, we will sell an installation kit for guys who have a T5 already. Pricing is not set yet but the whole installation will be a lot less expensive than going the TKO route. I expect to have finished, powder coated cross members ready in about four weeks pending our final fit this week.

ok i have a few QUESTIONS,,,,

i was all set in my mind to do a 5 speed swap from my stock mopar 4 speed,,,i have what is said to be the first QUICK TIME scatter shield for the mopar small block,,dual pattern mopar/TKO FORD, but to many promises from trans builders/adapters....not comming true, i about gave up and changed the rear gear in my car,,,

what is the bolt pattern of the T5 ??

the 1st gear ratio ??? and the O,D reduction ??

input shaft spline/ or disc neeeded ??

and what can you tell me about the 500 ft pounds T5 ?

i have a blown 340 3.09 fist gear 4 speed, 3.91 rear gear,33 inch tall tire,,i street drive it, cruise nites shows,,interstate driving, never at the drag strip,,,but still dont wanna spit the trans out if i grab a gear or too blowing off some mustang or vette,,lol

thanks for any real, informaton you can offer

I will be posting pictures. We have already done some significant test fitting to get the dims on the cross member and shifter and it will clearly fit a heck of a lot better than the TKO. On the TKO, the lug transfer area (where the single shift rail transfers into three rail lugs) is right where the torsion bar cross member is. This is an area of the gearbox that cannot be modified, which means significant cutting on the car. The main case is also bigger than the tunnel by a big margin.

The T5 single rail system fits under the torsion bar cross member and the main case is a lot smaller. This translates into a lot less cutting. With our shifter installed I think we are going to get away with no cutting.

Although we generally sell complete kits, we will sell an installation kit for guys who have a T5 already. Pricing is not set yet but the whole installation will be a lot less expensive than going the TKO route. I expect to have finished, powder coated cross members ready in about four weeks pending our final fit this week.

I'm glad you guys are making a kit and these parts. IMO the T5 makes more sense for the narrow A-body tunnel and there are plenty of T5 upgrades to make it handle most of what people need.

Good to know you guys will be offering an installation kit. I may need to order one in a month two. Whats the installation kit include?

fstfish, My T5 is from a 92 mustang gt. The 1st gear is 3.35 and the o.d. is .68. Ford T5s have a 10 spline input shaft. The idea setup for my car would be the optional gear set which has a 2.95 1st gear and the o.d. gear is .63. I have an extra T5 that I plan on building with the 2.95 gear set. There is usually a tag on the T5 that identifies it. The id number starts with a 1352- . The - number at the end tells which T5 it is .

http://www.5speeds.com/t5/index.html

There is a company that is building heavy duty T5s called G Force.They can probably tell you more about them.

http://www.gforcetransmissions.com/tran_gt-5.asp

-
Back