t5 trans swap?

-
Awesome! Im definitly in search of a Viper T56 and am hoping to score one from the Woodhouse Viper Team as they have since retired and are unloading stuff. I talked to the teams drivetrain wrench today and he is gonna do some digging around for me,fingers crossed! He did say he would sell me a brand new tr6060 with gear ratios of my choice and with his personal tweaks for about $3200 ARGH!!!! Well that is out of my range. D&D performance advertises a T56 Magnum for $2795 and if you guys match that price id definitly buy from you! I know I want a newer one with the solid countershaft and 2.66 first with .80 5th and .63 sixth respectively fo sho. With a 4.10 Dana and one of those it would be goodnight Irene!

Just a word of warning on this deal. Most of the 6060 gearboxes are configured for some funky stuff, like a shifter that is 42-45" from the block (your A-body is about 26" block to shifter). They also have oddball speedo drives (Viper boxes don't even have a speedo drive since the speedometer in the Viper car was diff driven). I am just scratching the surface, but suffice it to say that you will be jumping some hurdles and spending some cash to get one in your car.

That said, there is nothing wrong with any of these gearboxes from a quality or durability standpoint. They are very, very good transmissions. Just be careful with estimating the cost of actually getting one in the car and running down the road. If you can get it all done for a good buck you will be happy with the way they shift and stay together.

$3200 for a used hard and put up wet trans? He's insane..

There is a really good write up on installing the viper trans in an A body. Most of the mods are hacking the tunnel,as that trans is very large.

http://www.bigblockdart.com/forum/showthread.php?3985-T-56-6-speed-discussion...updated-06-28-09

I'd be willing to do this,but good luck finding a viper trans for what I can afford,lol.

Even the A833 o.d trans would work,but the trans will need a ton of mods to hold up to a big block for racing.

$3200 for a used hard and put up wet trans? He's insane..

There is a really good write up on installing the viper trans in an A body. Most of the mods are hacking the tunnel,as that trans is very large.

http://www.bigblockdart.com/forum/showthread.php?3985-T-56-6-speed-discussion...updated-06-28-09

I'd be willing to do this,but good luck finding a viper trans for what I can afford,lol.

Even the A833 o.d trans would work,but the trans will need a ton of mods to hold up to a big block for racing.
No! $3200 for a brand new TR6060 breathed on a little by him. He hasnt quoted me a price for a used one yet, he was gonna see what he had available first.

Just a word of warning on this deal. Most of the 6060 gearboxes are configured for some funky stuff, like a shifter that is 42-45" from the block (your A-body is about 26" block to shifter). They also have oddball speedo drives (Viper boxes don't even have a speedo drive since the speedometer in the Viper car was diff driven). I am just scratching the surface, but suffice it to say that you will be jumping some hurdles and spending some cash to get one in your car.

That said, there is nothing wrong with any of these gearboxes from a quality or durability standpoint. They are very, very good transmissions. Just be careful with estimating the cost of actually getting one in the car and running down the road. If you can get it all done for a good buck you will be happy with the way they shift and stay together.
Yeah I would stay away from any of the Challenger/Camaro/CTSV 6060s they definitly have a rediculous shifter location! From what I have researched all the Viper T56s have the same shifter location I think. The Ls1 Camaros use a crappier shifter location than the Viper it looks like too.

Have a look at the big block dart websight T-56 thread. Theres a really great pic of the trans mounted up and the tunnel cut away. The shifter is right where it should be.In fact quick time sells a bell housing to bolt up the T-56 to a mopar big block.

Morning Gents,

On the eve of American Powertrain's launch of the A-body T-5 kit (looking to bolt in today or tomorrow) I thought I would put together some clarifications on the capabilities and applications of the T5:

First, the only "new" T5 at this point is the Z-Spec or Cobra-spec Mustang T5. This is a pretty strong box with about a 330ft-lb rating, a warranty and a shift position that is about the same as the A-body fore and aft. This T5 with our new bell housing will fit the A-body pretty well out of the box, though driveline and carb angles look to be a little low due to the shifter tube hitting the torsion bar cross member. We are working on a fix but may require a little dimpling or relief in the member for proper installation.

On the "built" front, the T5 can be upgraded to handle about 500 ft-lbs before it runs out of capability. Gearboxes are limited by their basic architecture, and in the case of the T5 this is about all the case and shafts can handle before the torque load spreads the shafts apart, ballooning the case and causing fireworks inside the box. In addition, at 500ft-lbs the T5 becomes more expensive than the TKO.

Keep in mind that the blue oval folks routinely run built T-5 gearboxes in nine and ten second fox bodies, so this little gearbox is constantly doing more than the numbers say it can do.

The S-10 T5 came in two flavors. They both have the front shift position, making them great for bench seat street rods but not so good for the A-body shift position. On the other hand, they have a bare tail housing meaning they will clear the torsion bar cross member. Early ones were rated for about 180ft-lbs and had mechanical speedo output. Later ones, called "world class" were rated for 215ft-bls and had electronic speedo output only. This means either going to an electronic speedo or spending $350 on a conversion box.

Finally, there is the Camaro T5. This box is rated at about 280ft-lbs and has a shift position that is nearly identical to the Mustang. However, these gearboxes were made to mount at a 17-degree clocked rotation, making them a bear to mount in normal apps. Other uphill battles includes mating them to Chrylser blocks and getting the clutch to actuate properly.

There were other T5 apps out there, but these were by far the highest volume. You can find T5's from 6-cylinder Mustangs and even Datsun 280z cars.

All in all, the T5 is a good unit with high quality shifting and performance only limited by torque. For small block A-body guys we can cover about 80% of the under hood applications with T-5 gearboxes that will hold up to the abuse. Those with too much power for a T-5 can always opt for the TKO.

The upcoming kit will include a sophisticated offset shifter with the OE shift position, speedometer and mounting solutions and a brand new aluminum bell housing (steel SFI available for those who need them).

Hope this helps. Questions are welcome.

I have a few questions. I've been piecing together a kit. As of now i have a 92' T5 and a quicktime bellhousing(got them for a hell of a deal)

Will that offset shifter & cross member be for sale seperate from the full kit?

Have a look at the big block dart websight T-56 thread. Theres a really great pic of the trans mounted up and the tunnel cut away. The shifter is right where it should be.In fact quick time sells a bell housing to bolt up the T-56 to a mopar big block.

It's a shame it needs so much work. I'd love to have a 6spd race car.

Yes indeed I have. I also updated a couple things in there to lol! A factory Vipers shifter location is 27" to a stock A bodies 26" which is definitely doable.

I have a few questions. I've been piecing together a kit. As of now i have a 92' T5 and a quicktime bellhousing(got them for a hell of a deal)

Well,thier not gear vendors so lets hope so. If they were you'd probably be sol.

Well,thier not gear vendors so lets hope so. If they were you'd probably be sol.

well not sol, just kind of annoyed because i would be doing it the "old way" with cutting a different hole in the tunnel and modifying the stock crossmember. Plus i'm buying most of the conversion parts from them, i just want to piece it together so i'm not amassing a huge credit card bill.

I here ya on the cc thing. It's why I wont buy off ebay etc unless desperate.

Before you know it,that cc bill is huge!

Im even avoiding paypal here and otherwise. Most guys are pretty good and will wait for a m/o. Not henryb though. He would not accept a m/o from me,said he had been ripped of too much. Nice, a new member with less than 200 posts implying that Im the one who cant be trusted.Because of that,he would not sell his alum wp and housing for a bb to me,which I've searched for quite a while.

Sorry rant off. Back our regularly scheduled program...

We always make our installation kits available with or without a gearbox. Of course, we will only sell you what is actually compatible with the gearbox you have on hand.

so, any updates on how the install in the demon went? i want to see some pics and prices if theyre ironed out. now that i have decided what im doing, its tiome to start shopping.

Michael

im about to do the swap i have the quick time bell and a w/c t-5 i just have to buy a clutch.
will a borg & beck style pressure plate work with the stang t/o bearing? or will i have to go with diaphragm style?
i will be going with a hydro push style slave.
thanks

About to tackle this as well. I Ordered a Mcleod Diaphragm Clutch, and Quicktime Bellhousing for Big Block. Quick Time recommends using an OEM style clutch fork. I will be running a hydraulic master and slave, just not sure what yet. Planning on assembling it all, then seeing what will suit my build best

Going to be running this Pilot Bushing unless there is a bearing available somewhere that fits the correct diameters

716156 : Pilot Bushing .670 ID X 1.818 OD | Advance Adapters

I'm in the process of getting a T5 mounted behind a 3.6L Pentastar. I'm using a standard diaphragm Mustang Clutch with a hydraulic TB.

I don't think it much matters if the pressure plate is a B&B or diaphragm as long as the TB is positioned such that the fork and slave can properly engage/disengage with a reasonable pedal stroke and height.

I have one in my Valiant, I got it out of a 91 s10, my trans was a four cylinder trans, but I have it behind a 273, I also am running 3.91 gears, so it is nice. If I was to do it over again, I would use a 6 banger, as I think it has better ratios. It was almost a bolt in deal, drilled a hole in the trans mount and the chevy mount fit right in, I used a bell housing for chevy trans to small block dodge, the same I use in my circle track car, that is where I got the idea. The Hydraulic master out of the chevy s10 was almost a bolt in deal too, I had to drill a hole wher ethe old clutch rod went through the floor for it to mount and I had to cut the s10 lines steel end off and tig weld an -AN fitting to it to allow me to use the hydraulic throw out bearing that Howe makes. I used -AN 4 steel braided lines to connect it. The chev master has metric threads, that is why I had to do it, no adaptor for the AN to metric, made my own. Works sweet. I used a dodge flywheel and pressure plate, and got a chev input disc from advance adaptors, the chev 4 cylinder has an odd input spline, and it is maybe 9 inches, I needed 10.5 as we all know for a Dodge. I thibk the v6 trans has the normal spline, so a 10.5 disc is a little easier to come by. I used a bushing from a chev, and i lathed down a chunk of steel to adapt it to the crank of the 273, where the hub fits on a t convertor, kinda like the magnum style.
I then cut the driveshaft down and tig welded a dodge yoke on the axle end and I was done. I used magnum heads on my motor and I used the magnum exhaust manifolds, they are rear dump, since I have no z bar or linkage, I was able to use the rear dump nicely. I have a few thousand miles on it now, and many 130 some mile an hour runs on it down the highway, I cruise at 2 grand at 65, nice. The gear spacing is kinda close with a 5 speed, so I can really skip gears, the car doesnt weigh crap.
Oh it is in a 4 door valiant I made a 2 door too, frame connects, minitub, spring relocate, and tubular uppers, 4 wheel disc brake, I never missed a thing, I modified it all, LOL

Valiant002.jpg
Long time stalker first time poster. What brand bell housing did you buy? I have a t5 from a Camaro going in the 73"68dart"

-
Back