The end is near...

-
Not sure why any self respecting gear head would be against any internal combustion engine at this point. I guess you’re entitled to your opinion but it seems a little silly. This car is REALLY fast. Gen III makes power why would you just blindly eliminate it from the option list?
739F5F91-6E89-489B-95A7-BBFB3B7E2C22.jpeg

Not sure why any self respecting gear head would be against any internal combustion engine at this point. I guess you’re entitled to your opinion but it seems a little silly. This car is REALLY fast. Gen III makes power why would you just blindly eliminate it from the option list?
View attachment 1716007130

So how fast (MPH) is it and what does it weigh? It’s not I’m against any ICE, I happen to be a realist. The Hemi NA just isnt special.

So how fast (MPH) is it and what does it weigh? It’s not I’m against any ICE, I happen to be a realist. The Hemi NA just isnt special.
I did not think this was a comparison thread? The way I read it the OP was lamenting the popularity of the Gen III.

I don’t know the exact answers to your questions but when I spoke with the owner he said it’s in the 7s on spray.

I did not think this was a comparison thread? The way I read it the OP was lamenting the popularity of the Gen III.

I don’t know the exact answers to your questions but when I spoke with the owner he said it’s in the 7s on spray.

You said it was fast. I wanted to see what it is. And it’s not NA.

Here is something to think about. I have a pretty much bone-stock 383 in my ‘68 Coronet. It’s your basic, old school cast iron “muscle car” engine like you’d get in a Super Bee or Roadrunner. It’s got the factory flat top 10:1 pistons, “335hp” hydraulic cam, factory iron heads, Performer intake (aluminum copy of the factory 4bbl intake) and a set of garden-variety headers. It has good compression and runs fine but it’s a total dog.

Could it be made into a runner? Of course but in essentially stock form with just headers? Meh.

Conversely, the 100% bone-stock 5.7 Hemi in my 8,000lb Ram 1500 accelerates the truck way better than the car. I drive both enough to know and feel the difference. The Gen III is by far the better engine, it’s not even close.

And before anyone starts crying about modern technology blah blah blah, the 383 is running EFI. Makes it a little more of a level playing field.

Unlike the 383, the Ram never overheats even towing a trailer with the a/c on full blast sitting in stop and go traffic. It’s quiet, meaning no lifter noise. It gets decent mileage for a heavy, non-areo vehicle with 33” tires and a 3.92 gear. If you hot rod them they are as capable as anything out there.

Frankly, you’d have to throw a lot of money at a 383 to get it to perform like that.

You can also walk into any parts store and get whatever you need for the Gen III unlike a 383 where the only thing you’d get from a counter lackey is a blank stare.

But that’s fine. I’m sure back in the ‘60’s there were guys lamenting the new-fangled 400hp “Supercars” that that you could drive off the showroom floor because they were still stuck on messing with the older stuff. So it goes.

Here is something to think about. I have a pretty much bone-stock 383 in my ‘68 Coronet. It’s your basic, old school cast iron “muscle car” engine like you’d get in a Super Bee or Roadrunner. It’s got the factory flat top 10:1 pistons, “335hp” hydraulic cam, factory iron heads, Performer intake (aluminum copy of the factory 4bbl intake) and a set of garden-variety headers. It has good compression and runs fine but it’s a total dog.

Could it be made into a runner? Of course but in essentially stock form with just headers? Meh.

Conversely, the 100% bone-stock 5.7 Hemi in my 8,000lb Ram 1500 accelerates the truck way better than the car. I drive both enough to know and feel the difference. The Gen III is by far the better engine, it’s not even close.

And before anyone starts crying about modern technology blah blah blah, the 383 is running EFI. Makes it a little more of a level playing field.

Unlike the 383, the Ram never overheats even towing a trailer with the a/c on full blast sitting in stop and go traffic. It’s quiet, meaning no lifter noise. It gets decent mileage for a heavy, non-areo vehicle with 33” tires and a 3.92 gear. If you hot rod them they are as capable as anything out there.

Frankly, you’d have to throw a lot of money at a 383 to get it to perform like that.

You can also walk into any parts store and get whatever you need for the Gen III unlike a 383 where the only thing you’d get from a counter lackey is a blank stare.

But that’s fine. I’m sure back in the ‘60’s there were guys lamenting the new-fangled 400hp “Supercars” that that you could drive off the showroom floor because they were still stuck on messing with the older stuff. So it goes.

The 383 was NEVER a performance engine. Ever.

In the 60’s no one was bitching about muscle cars. What they replaced was far inferior. And that’s just it. You think the “new” Hemi is some ground breaking, revolutionary engine. It’s not. NA it’s a performance pig.

Your aftermarket EFI compared to OE EFI is like comparing a horse and buggy to a rocket. It’s not even close.

You said it was fast. I wanted to see what it is. And it’s not NA.

I think there might be one possibly two “traditional small blocks” out there making 1,000 hp but those are essentially one-off pieces. How much do you think something like that would cost? $30k? More? Who puts THAT kind of money into a small block? And at that level, it’s all aftermarket parts so it might as well be anything. OTOH, you can generally find a junkyard Hellcat for $10-$15k and be at 700hp without doing anything. What’s bad about that?

Anything can be made to run, just depends on how deep your pockets are.

I’m a small block guy myself but I often think about going to a Gen III platform? I mean, why not?

You’re truck isn’t as heavy as you think. 3.92 rear ratio with a 5(?) speed automatic versus coronet with what rear ratio? Automatic?

Put the 3.92’s in your coronet and put a 750 carb on that manifold and I bet it’s not as big a difference.

I think if you cut through all the chest thumping and bullshit, this thread is about how the Gen 3 Hemi isn’t special. There is nothing extraordinary about its design. People go googoo over the Hemi name and all the other marketing surrounding it,but it’s you’re typical pushrod V8 with an extra spark plug to make you wish you never bought it come tune up time. Fiat should be proud.

6520F674-CDDD-4571-A89A-6772CD12589F.png

View attachment 1716007130
Diesel truck and motorcycles can also be quite fast but not very cool and also i'm not against internal combustion engines but I do get sick of hearing how great the G3 is and it seems it also has fallen into that mentally challenged way of thinking that the LS rainbow flag lovers has in which you hear guys running off the mouth about how they can buy a junk yard G3 for 700 dollars and throw a 200 Ebay turbo on it and run 4's in the 1/8th......it was time to bring to bring the dreamers and water walkers back to reality land.
15 pages about nothing
yet here you are...

Better in your opinion, the 383 is 1000 times more reliable and cheaper to repair, if your 383 is overheating it's something you did and has nothing to do with the engine in itself, you better have a fat wallet when you walk into a parts store when buying modern era parts, I still have zero takers on a 2 option race by the way and I know why.

I think there might be one possibly two “traditional small blocks” out there making 1,000 hp but those are essentially one-off pieces. How much do you think something like that would cost? $30k? More? Who puts THAT kind of money into a small block? And at that level, it’s all aftermarket parts so it might as well be anything. OTOH, you can generally find a junkyard Hellcat for $10-$15k and be at 700hp without doing anything. What’s bad about that?

Anything can be made to run, just depends on how deep your pockets are.

I’m a small block guy myself but I often think about going to a Gen III platform? I mean, why not?
There are WAY MORE than just 1 or 2 thousand hp small block LA mopar engines out there....you just aren't in the right circles to know that, they do cost 30k or sometimes more but so what when they live, are dead nuts reliable and mop the floor with any G3 N/A and a ton of power adder ones too......want a case in point? Turbofreek twin turbo G3 dart is almost 2 tenths slower than my current ET in a N/A LA platform and I think my car is heavier too but you guys hate facts, what would it take money wise to reliably get that Hellcat to 1000 hp and live? I will tell you why not.....they have yet to prove they are superior in anything....maybe try picking on the POS L.S. first before they start barking at the big dogs.

There are WAY MORE than just 1 or 2 thousand hp small block LA mopar engines out there....you just aren't in the right circles to know that, they do cost 30k or sometimes more but so what when they live, are dead nuts reliable and mop the floor with any G3 N/A and a ton of power adder ones too......want a case in point? Turbofreek twin turbo G3 dart is almost 2 tenths slower than my current ET in a N/A LA platform and I think my car is heavier too but you guys hate facts, what would it take money wise to reliably get that Hellcat to 1000 hp and live? I will tell you why not.....they have yet to prove they are superior in anything....maybe try picking on the POS L.S. first before they start barking at the big dogs.

Like the rest of the internet, we are debating opinion here, not fact. You can argue your opinion is based in fact but it’s still just an opinion.

No one will ever win these debates. You can go on and on about what you believe but it’s not going to change my mind. Likewise, anything I say is not going to sway you towards a different way of thought.

Sometimes it’s fun to engage in these ”discussions” but after a few replies I’m usually kicking myself for getting sucked in and wasting my time typing out a reply. From my standpoint I do try to interject some sort of logic and real-world experience but that never seems to amount to much. In fact, many things I say get turned around and shoved back at me as wrong or ignorant. I also try to avoid getting involved in personal jabs but that never seems to stop anyone else from doing it.

Bottom line, this is a hobby and something we’re supposed to enjoy. We get so worked up about trivial bullshit. Why? Have fun, do what you want and don’t get butt hurt by what anyone else says or does.

Like the rest of the internet, we are debating opinion here, not fact. You can argue your opinion is based in fact but it’s still just an opinion.

No one will ever win these debates. You can go on and on about what you believe but it’s not going to change my mind. Likewise, anything I say is not going to sway you towards a different way of thought.

Sometimes it’s fun to engage in these ”discussions” but after a few replies I’m usually kicking myself for getting sucked in and wasting my time typing out a reply. From my standpoint I do try to interject some sort of logic and real-world experience but that never seems to amount to much. In fact, many things I say get turned around and shoved back at me as wrong or ignorant. I also try to avoid getting involved in personal jabs but that never seems to stop anyone else from doing it.

Bottom line, this is a hobby and something we’re supposed to enjoy. We get so worked up about trivial bullshit. Why? Have fun, do what you want and don’t get butt hurt by what anyone else says or does.

Its not butthurt. Its dealing with facts like a man. The G3 Hemi isn’t ground breaking. The chamber is so bad that it can’t pass emissions standards without 2 plugs. That’s a fact, not an opinion. And there are more issues with it than just that. Most of those are an issue with any Hemi.

Chrysler would have been FAR better off developing a good late model wedge head. They went for marketing instead. That’s just a fact.

Even in Pro Stock the teams got screwed by Chrysler. They killed them with that worthless skirted block. And I know for a fact because 1. I saw it with my own eyes and 2. I talked with one of the PS guys at LENGTH about the short comings of that garbage skirted block. So that is another FACT.

I don’t want to change your opinion because you’ve already admitted you can’t do that. Maybe you should actually do some actual research and learn about combustion, why a skirted block is garbage and then come back and tell me why I’m wrong.

Its not butthurt. Its dealing with facts like a man. The G3 Hemi isn’t ground breaking. The chamber is so bad that it can’t pass emissions standards without 2 plugs. That’s a fact, not an opinion. And there are more issues with it than just that. Most of those are an issue with any Hemi.

Chrysler would have been FAR better off developing a good late model wedge head. They went for marketing instead. That’s just a fact.

Even in Pro Stock the teams got screwed by Chrysler. They killed them with that worthless skirted block. And I know for a fact because 1. I saw it with my own eyes and 2. I talked with one of the PS guys at LENGTH about the short comings of that garbage skirted block. So that is another FACT.

I don’t want to change your opinion because you’ve already admitted you can’t do that. Maybe you should actually do some actual research and learn about combustion, why a skirted block is garbage and then come back and tell me why I’m wrong.
Super Stock Hemi Darts running in the low 8's at 160, not to shabby

Here's a list of N/A G3 times.

NA Gen3 times

Did a little racing with our 225k mile junkyard hemi went 6.83 @98.3 mph in the 1/8 with a VERY basic engine combo in our 3150lb Ex cab Dakota. Stock 04 shortblock, pair of lightly touched up eagle heads, comp 273 cam, PAC springs, Ritter intake w/ 4150 carb on 93 pump gas. Put our previous 360 magnum power plant to shame. The 360 was almost 11/1 compression, ported 2.02 valve magnum heads, [email protected] SFT cam and Indy intake with the same carb. The 360 could only muster 7.18 @ 95mph. (Below thread OP's words - quoted and condensed)

First outing with junkyard 5.7 = Win!!

Ray Mayers - 2016 Drag Week Super Street Small Block - NA class winner with an averaged of [email protected]

...pump gas, 3200-3300lbs, stock rocker arms, stock heads ported by him. He took first place in his class on drag week 2016 and didn't turn a wrench on it all week. That wouldn't be easy to do on a small or big block mopar(The ET is easy, the low service and reliability is not) - Quote from link below

Does the Gen III hemi impress you?

IMG_1942-660x440.jpg?fit=around%7C770:481.jpg

Triple Thread - stroker 5.7, 6.4 heads (ported?), Ritter intake, N/A 9.70@138

Even one of the LA Heavy Hitters here can be quoted saying he likes this build.

My bracket hemi build

1667922384757blob.png

Don't think any of them fit the criteria or are fast enough for a Golden Calf Shootout (assuming the posted GC times are true). But they speak to some fast cars built using the G3 as a powerplant. And Ray Meyers' car is a true street car (as in able to do far more than a 10 mile drive), and Triple Threat said he could easily make his car street legal. Add that Triple Threat's car is a true 9 second 1/4 mile car, unlike the Golden Calf that is only assumed to be.

Don't read this wrong, I am in no way saying everyone should run a G3. But sure seems like some have been successful without having to get very exotic.

NA Gen3 times

Did a little racing with our 225k mile junkyard hemi went 6.83 @98.3 mph in the 1/8 with a VERY basic engine combo in our 3150lb Ex cab Dakota. Stock 04 shortblock, pair of lightly touched up eagle heads, comp 273 cam, PAC springs, Ritter intake w/ 4150 carb on 93 pump gas. Put his previous 360 magnum power plant to shame. The 360 was almost 11/1 compression, ported 2.02 valve magnum heads, [email protected] SFT cam and Indy intake with the same carb. The 360 could only muster 7.18 @ 95mph. (Below thread OP's words - quoted and condensed)

Ray Mayers - 2016 Drag Week Super Street Small Block - NA class winner with an averaged of [email protected]

...pump gas, 3200-3300lbs, stock rocker arms, stock heads ported by him. He took first place in his class on drag week 2016 and didn't turn a wrench on it all week. That wouldn't be easy to do on a small or big block mopar(The ET is easy, the low service and reliability is not) - Quote from link below

View attachment 1716007968

My bracket hemi build

View attachment 1716007967

Don't think any of them fit the criteria or are fast enough for a Golden Calf Shootout (assuming the posted GC times are true). But they speak to some fast cars built using the G3 as a powerplant. And Ray Meyers' car is a true street car (as in able to do far more than a 10 mile drive), and Triple Threat said he could easily make his car street legal. Add that Triple Threat's car is a true 9 second 1/4 mile car, unlike the Golden Calf that is only assumed to be.

Don't read this wrong, I am in no way saying everyone should run a G3. But sure seems like some have been successful without having to get very exotic.
I couldn't do more than 10 miles??? I know of a car with a very similar setup in it that won drag week in its class first year out, LOL, and my car wouldn't run low nines or nine flat or even high eight's when it's already done 5.78 in the 1/8th???? Maybe if I turned the key off at the 1/8th mile it wouldn't run nines in the quarter, LOL, do you proof read the nonsense you write or are you just that gullible to actually believe it? Also have you figured out yet since you scoured the whole internet for a week that I am unbeatable in my race proposal? Surely you are now starting to realize that and as a suggestion maybe you should start listening to the fast guys....LOL

NA Gen3 times

Did a little racing with our 225k mile junkyard hemi went 6.83 @98.3 mph in the 1/8 with a VERY basic engine combo in our 3150lb Ex cab Dakota. Stock 04 shortblock, pair of lightly touched up eagle heads, comp 273 cam, PAC springs, Ritter intake w/ 4150 carb on 93 pump gas. Put our previous 360 magnum power plant to shame. The 360 was almost 11/1 compression, ported 2.02 valve magnum heads, [email protected] SFT cam and Indy intake with the same carb. The 360 could only muster 7.18 @ 95mph. (Below thread OP's words - quoted and condensed)

My bracket hemi build

What's a true streer car? Ray's exact criteria? :steering: :rofl::realcrazy::BangHead::rofl::rofl::rofl:

NA Gen3 times

My bracket hemi build

The first example is using magnum heads. No matter how much you grind on them, they are still garbage. So there is that. He should have been using a W2 head, which is 1975 technology and then it would easily run with the Hemi.

I’m not going through the rest of them because it’s not worth my time. As a machinist, engine builder and tuner I’m no longer going to engage with guys who can’t even grind a valve, let alone spec an engine and make power. It’s just not worth it.

Long live the Hemi. The greatest power plant ever devised by mortal man.
I couldn't do more than 10 miles??? I know of a car with a very similar setup in it that won drag week in its class first year out, LOL, and my car wouldn't run low nines or nine flat or even high eight's when it's already done 5.78 in the 1/8th???? Maybe if I turned the key off at the 1/8th mile it wouldn't run nines in the quarter, LOL, do you proof read the nonsense you write or are you just that gullible to actually believe it? Also have you figured out yet since you scoured the whole internet for a week that I am unbeatable in my race proposal? Surely you are now starting to realize that and as a suggestion maybe you should start listening to the fast guys....LO

It’s funny, these guys think it if‘s not some new junk it can’t drive anywhere and everywher. My personal garbage isn’t geared for freeway driving because it doesn’t need to be, but it will do it and run at 160 degrees on 100 plus degree days.

Unreal what people think and try to palm off on the internet as gospel. It gets old.

The first example is using magnum heads. No matter how much you grind on them, they are still garbage. So there is that. He should have been using a W2 head, which is 1975 technology and then it would easily run with the Hemi.

I’m not going through the rest of them because it’s not worth my time. As a machinist, engine builder and tuner I’m no longer going to engage with guys who can’t even grind a valve, let alone spec an engine and make power. It’s just not worth it.

Long live the Hemi. The greatest power plant ever devised by mortal man.

It’s funny, these guys think it if‘s not some new junk it can’t drive anywhere and everywher. My personal garbage isn’t geared for freeway driving because it doesn’t need to be, but it will do it and run at 160 degrees on 100 plus degree days.

Unreal what people think and try to palm off on the internet as gospel. It gets old.
Exactly.....and I have raced my car enough in different scenarios, meaning trying to slow it down to index race it, even starting in second gear, to kinda realize that I could probably put 3.55's in my car and not lose more than a tenth or so. They really do make it easy to disprove their nonsense.

I couldn't do more than 10 miles???

Your rules, not mine.

... and my car wouldn't run low nines or nine flat or even high eight's when it's already done 5.78 in the 1/8th????

You probably could, but so far the best 1/4" mile time I've see posted was a 10.46 or something. As someone else said on here, go do it.

Also have you figured out yet since you scoured the whole internet for a week that I am unbeatable in my race proposal?

Tripped over those yesterday. Wasn't even looking.

Funny thing is, those are on Moparts. I've kind of walked away from there due to some drama I heard about and I liked it here more anyway. Starting to think they might be more open minded than here. They were able to discuss it like adults, even Rat Bastid/YR/MadScientist was able to make his point without acting like he is god.

-
Back