The end is near...

-
i saw you quote 30k for something if thats now not going back to read it
700 hp na yup great not for 30k not even 25k
all these comments hemi sck na not you but rat clearly knows his sht as do many others saying a 68 hemi dart isnt iconic is foolish
they held the super stock record for yrs low 8s 160 plus bbc is better 54 yrs still kicking *** woulda coulda shoulda smh
skill is taken a pos and blowing a high dollar car away that rights a check

the hemi dart is an icon to say anything otherwise is foolish
doesnt matter if you built this or that
that being said clearly you have done much or more then much
trap speed and weight always tells the story
remind me what don garlits and many others ran for a motor braking record after record HEMI
i know it wasnt a stock block yada yada
hemi dart coolest car ever built
super stock springs slicks tune pinion snubber 10 flat 130 11.20s@122 as delivered so simple yet smoked everything 8s@160 now 54 yrs later
all due respect mr rat

when you have to say i dont think iam god but
always somebody smarter better faster
just the way it is

Let me help you out. Once again, the available evidence of the Hemi and how it stacks up to a wedge are everywhere. You don’t have to like it, but it doesn’t change the facts.

The Hemi Dart is iconic. Do you think it’s a little queer that the Hemi has its own Super Stock class. If you haven’t thought about it, maybe you should. And the reason they have their own class isn’t what you may think.

The rest of your post makes no sense. I will say trap speed and weight doesn’t mean all that much UNLESS you KNOW what the car weighs and you KNOW the chassis is optimize. Sadly, most aren’t. I blame bracket racing for that crap.

That said, I’d build a Predator long before I even thought about a Hemi because I KNOW better. And because I’m honest, I’d build a BBC long before I built a Predator.

It’s hard to overcome all the issues the BBM has. Even with a Predator head.

Never said I was god, not do I think I’m god. What I do know and what I do think is that I’ve been at this a looooooooong time. I’m betting I’ve seen, done and broken **** you can’t imagine. That’s one of the few benefits of getting old.

You talk like you are a god, and that only your opinion is right. It's like you are one of those old guys that angrily demands respect without even giving common curtesy to anyone else. I agree you have done, seen and broken more that I ever will. And I agree there is plenty I could learn from you, but when you won't answer an honest question to clarify something and start insults, I find it hard to find respect for you.

I mean, you’re hear leg humping the Hemi with all your might. I have laid out in some detail the issues with NA Hemi stuff. And yet you STILL want to argue the point.

In another thread (I think it was deleted?) I asked you for clarification on some of your points and got called blind and dumb. Maybe you saw my questions as a challenge of your authority? Funny thing is, I was actually asking. But if a question is seen as a challenge to your knowledge, it doesn't leave me excited about talking to you about anything.

And for what it's worth (not that I expect you will hear what I am saying) I don't believe the G3 is the end all be all of motors. Nor am I blind to aspects that are problems. I don't think it is for everyone. But for my situation I do think it is the better path. And the facts of how they work from the factory supports that. I don't care if they are 10 seconds slower in the 1/4, it fits my needs better. The problem is, you seem to only be able to see it from your narrow focus "my way only" viewpoint.

I'm not a drag racer, or a time only guy. I don't have a need or want for a drag car or anything like it. I don't have the funds to build the stuff you seem to think I should. I am a normal guy that wants a car that is fun to drive, can run errands and go on road trips. These "10 mile" builds with $16K+ motors and race fuel needs don't interest me other than the daydream what-if scenarios. I've run costs and looked at options and I just don't see an LA doing what a G3 would do for me. Not for a budget that makes sense to me. And don't tell me I need to make more money or budget better, you don't get to tell me how to spend my money.

I doubt you would say to them what you say to me here (at least I would hope you would show them more respect than that, respect BTW they have EARNED) with the vigor you use.

I'd like you to point out where I started disrespecting you. Was it after you told me I was dumb? Because it wasn't before that since you and I didn't even start interacting on this thread until the below post you directed at me.

WTF are you talking about? What do you KNOW about ring seal? What do you KNOW about tuning anything?

You leg hump the new Hemi like a dime store ***** on coke but WTF do you KNOW? What have you DONE?

Go do something and get back to me about ring seal and ****.

Or maybe it was because I said there wasn't anything I need to get back to you about?

Nah. Can't see why I would want to get back to you about anything.

I've actually worked hard to not come across as disrespectful. Even after you called me a coke *****, I didn't say much. But truth is, you lost any respect I would have had for you long ago based on how you treat people.

Last edited:
Let me help you out. Once again, the available evidence of the Hemi and how it stacks up to a wedge are everywhere. You don’t have to like it, but it doesn’t change the facts.

The Hemi Dart is iconic. Do you think it’s a little queer that the Hemi has its own Super Stock class. If you haven’t thought about it, maybe you should. And the reason they have their own class isn’t what you may think.

The rest of your post makes no sense. I will say trap speed and weight doesn’t mean all that much UNLESS you KNOW what the car weighs and you KNOW the chassis is optimize. Sadly, most aren’t. I blame bracket racing for that crap.

Hey quit picking on us lowly bracket racers. Lol. I’m easily offended.

In another thread (I think it was deleted?) I asked you for clarification on some of your points and got called blind and dumb.

Found the thread, I thought it was the one where '68cuda416 went off the rails and got his most recent vacation.

Nope, it was this one.

I need schooling - old vs. new engines

I was slightly inaccurate in my statement though. I asked questions, and either they were ignored or answered in such a way as to completely miss actually giving an answer.

@Rat Bastid, please point out where I was disrespectful of you? Unless you mean that by not blindly agreeing with you and by asking questions, I was being disrespectful. Or was it when I said I didn't know you are YR and I didn't care?

Please point out where I called you anything like a "coke *****" or similar. It's been a little while so I don't remember for sure.

Honestly, if you can't handle having your statements challenged and maybe even not accepted, then you don't belong in the public. Even if you are right, nobody is always going to agree with you and you need to get over yourself if you think they should.

I have 30k or more in it now with upgrades and refreshens twice along with truck freight across the country twice and I specifically stated it had at least 700hp as I didn't feel the need to disclose what it had.

That said, I’d build a Predator long before I even thought about a Hemi because I KNOW better. And because I’m honest, I’d build a BBC long before I built a Predator.

It’s hard to overcome all the issues the BBM has. Even with a Predator head.
sorry mr rat i dont need help smh
always something better always something designed like **** or stoopid pretty much all motors
69 boss 302
69 302 z28 dog motors on the street road racing engines 70ta 340 smoked them on the street didnt do well in trans am though torsion bars blow
Let me help you out
la heads blow stock
bad design see how easy that was
why do junk 383 strokers make easy power
why didnt ma mopar build a good head its shamefull bad design
thats what i said trap speed is power weight of car and trap speed tell the story the rest is chassis
wgaf why the hemi dart it has its own class still smoked the all alum 427 L88 amx fords wiped the floor with them
there many classes
saying let me help you out is iam all knowing buncha bs
it was the 60s for pete sakes
the hemi is and icon always will be saying it not is well foolish

Just so i'm clear here, lol, you have fun with your car but I don't, and you could build a mid 900 hp W9 all by yourself meaning you will do all the port work on the heads, intake and anything else it needs? I am not going to buy your most likely answer of I can't afford it because how many other cars do you have sitting around your place and how much engines and engine related parts could you sell off? Your happy in your circle which is cool but don't for one second think that I am not and another thing since you have never been to my shop you have ZERO idea of what work I do on my own car and I can assure you this that it is more than 95% of the guys on here and that also includes doing my own tuning and carb work. Again i'm sure it won't resonate and the haters will love your post and go see I told him so but in the end the G3 is a pile and nobody has a car that can run with a badass built with money and my hands W9 platform and I will shine that crown against all the modern marvel junk till the day I die.
I believe if John wanted to and wanted to spend the money, he could build a 900 HP engine.
He has built up the knowledge BTDT to do just about all the work to do so.
I expect he'd have to contract out some machine work.
He can see and hear the air, lol so I expect all porting would be done by John.
BTW My heroes have always been cowboys. lol

I believe if John wanted to and wanted to spend the money, he could build a 900 HP engine.
He has built up the knowledge BTDT to do just about all the work to do so.
I expect he'd have to contract out some machine work.
He can see and hear the air, lol so I expect all porting would be done by John.
BTW My heroes have always been cowboys. lol
At this stage in his life I don't think we will ever find out and I actually think he found his niche, and a good one at that, of making simple, reliable, moderate power and putting that into a light car......easy recipe for running on the cheap with less wear and tear on things

Final round of 9.50 index race a couple of years ago. The Roadrunner is an NA 401 G3.

Ran his best of 9.48 @ 139.4, 1.27 60ft at that race. This was in 2019, no idea if he improved on than that.

Final round of 9.50 index race a couple of years ago. The Roadrunner is an NA 401 G3.

Ran his best of 9.48 @ 139.4, 1.27 60ft at that race. This was in 2019, no idea if he improved on than that.

He may not want to do a 10 mile drive, lol, but in all seriousness for a light car it runs decent.

He may not want to do a 10 mile drive, lol, but in all seriousness for a light car it runs decent.

Guess it weighed 3200 with driver, and he called it a street car? Not up on the full spec's, guess he has a build thread but I haven't gone looking for it. No idea what his definition of a "street" car is, so you could be right.

Still reading through the thread I tripped over yesterday and found that. Thought it looked pretty wicked.

Guess it weighed 3200 with driver, and he called it a street car? Not up on the full spec's, guess he has a build thread but I haven't gone looking for it. No idea what his definition of a "street" car is, so you could be right.

Still reading through the thread I tripped over yesterday and found that. Thought it looked pretty wicked.
He meets the criteria and he may not feel the need to drive 10 miles which would be fine with me also as it was something I cared less about....I know I drive my car around town and don't need to prove anything else.

He meets the criteria and he may not feel the need to drive 10 miles which would be fine with me also as it was something I cared less about....I know I drive my car around town and don't need to prove anything else.

I honestly wasn't posting it as challenger for your race. I would have gone to your other thread if that was why I posted. Same reason I didn't post the other links there, wasn't looking to toss challengers your way.

I think I have a winter project, it won't be a Hemi.
It's looking like an Indy headed 451 with 14.1 comp. :D
just a new KOS formula. lol
I'm going to make a call down south.

At this stage in his life I don't think we will ever find out and I actually think he found his niche, and a good one at that, of making simple, reliable, moderate power and putting that into a light car......easy recipe for running on the cheap with less wear and tear on things

I love that word “nitche” but it’s one I rarely see, hear, or get to use. Probably because I forget to put the e on the end and sending spellcheck bonkers. Lol.

You talk like you are a god, and that only your opinion is right. It's like you are one of those old guys that angrily demands respect without even giving common curtesy to anyone else. I agree you have done, seen and broken more that I ever will. And I agree there is plenty I could learn from you, but when you won't answer an honest question to clarify something and start insults, I find it hard to find respect for you.

In another thread (I think it was deleted?) I asked you for clarification on some of your points and got called blind and dumb. Maybe you saw my questions as a challenge of your authority? Funny thing is, I was actually asking. But if a question is seen as a challenge to your knowledge, it doesn't leave me excited about talking to you about anything.

And for what it's worth (not that I expect you will hear what I am saying) I don't believe the G3 is the end all be all of motors. Nor am I blind to aspects that are problems. I don't think it is for everyone. But for my situation I do think it is the better path. And the facts of how they work from the factory supports that. I don't care if they are 10 seconds slower in the 1/4, it fits my needs better. The problem is, you seem to only be able to see it from your narrow focus "my way only" viewpoint.

I'm not a drag racer, or a time only guy. I don't have a need or want for a drag car or anything like it. I don't have the funds to build the stuff you seem to think I should. I am a normal guy that wants a car that is fun to drive, can run errands and go on road trips. These "10 mile" builds with $16K+ motors and race fuel needs don't interest me other than the daydream what-if scenarios. I've run costs and looked at options and I just don't see an LA doing what a G3 would do for me. Not for a budget that makes sense to me. And don't tell me I need to make more money or budget better, you don't get to tell me how to spend my money.

I'd like you to point out where I started disrespecting you. Was it after you told me I was dumb? Because it wasn't before that since you and I didn't even start interacting on this thread until the below post you directed at me.

Or maybe it was because I said there wasn't anything I need to get back to you about?

I've actually worked hard to not come across as disrespectful. Even after you called me a coke *****, I didn't say much. But truth is, you lost any respect I would have had for you long ago based on how you treat people.

If you asked me something you got an answer. You may not have liked it but you got one. Unless on the off chance I didn’t see it.

So if you think I didn’t answer something, ask it again. I’ll answer it.

I couldn’t care less if someone doesn’t agree with me. What I detest is someone continuing an argument when you have no basis with which to argue other than personal preferences. That’s irritating and time wasting.

Go back and READ what I said about respect. Read it close.

If you none of what you say you aren’t above, THEN STOP ARGUING. I’ve said what’s wrong with the Hemi and it doesn’t matter if that fits what YOU do or not. It’s still a Hemi issue.

Build what you want. I clearly don’t give a ****. I assuming you are building a G3 hemi because you can scrounge the wrecking yards and dig them up. That’s fine. Do what you have to do. I still say there are better ways to do it.

FWIW, I was digging through wrecking yards most likely before you were born. There’s a reason we called them JUNK yards. It’s because they are full of what? JUNK.

Junk is junk at any price.

Rat Bastid, After reading through the thread I quoted from below, I have to say that I read some vitriol into your posts that might not have been there. I can't say if it was a prior bias I had or what, but after read them again you didn't seem as angry and puffed up as I remember. So I apologize and will endeavor to check my reactions to make sure I'm not reading something that isn't there.

Doesn't change that you called me a crack *****, but that's a separate issue that I plan to ignore. :)

If you asked me something you got an answer. You may not have liked it but you got one. Unless on the off chance I didn’t see it.

So if you think I didn’t answer something, ask it again. I’ll answer it.

See below quotes from the other thread.

Go back and READ what I said about respect. Read it close.

Still says to me that I have been disrespectful to you. That you hope I wouldn't be disrespectful to other experts like I have been to you. What am I missing?

If you none of what you say you aren’t above, THEN STOP ARGUING. I’ve said what’s wrong with the Hemi and it doesn’t matter if that fits what YOU do or not. It’s still a Hemi issue.

And I would still point out that based on the empirical evidence of how they run off the showroom floor, the "hemi issues" don't seem to be affecting them. Based on cost and available parts, it just makes sense (to me) to run what gives me the best I can get. I already know you don't agree, but I don't see LA motors falling out of the trees that meet my criteria for a price I can afford.

Questions from the other thread that were ignore:

What's a W8 or 9 head flow? And what do they cost? Do you have to buy a Ritter block to run them?

No answer. Other than "flow is unimportant".

Can you list for me "all the issues" an NA Hemi has? Not poking at you, just curious what those are.

Maybe answered later?

The LS head is FAR better than the G3 Hemi. In fact, most decent wedge heads are.
Can you explain that a little more? Better in what way? Packaging? Smaller valve cover?

No answer that I can tell.

So is this your "list" of issues with the G3?

Talking NA, the wedge head is always better than a Hemi. While the flow numbers look great and line of sight ports are the best you lose when the intake and exhaust valves oppose each other. Again, talking NA.

It doesn’t take long to see how the BBC just KILLS the Hemi NA. You have almost line of sight ports but the exhaust valve isn’t opposed to the intake valve. That changes overlap flow. Most people either don’t know or don’t care about overlap flow, but it’s a big deal.

Another example is the Pro Stock “hemi“ which wasn’t a Hemi. The closest that engine was to a Hemi was the skirted block. And all big blocks have that shitty design. Too bad GM copied that junk. Of course, the OE’s are more concerned with noise and stuff than actual power so there is that.

Anyway, that “Hemi” engine had issues that made it a different cat than a wedge. The skirted block is a power eater. The fix for that was machining that skirt off the passenger side of the block and building an oil pan that for the block after that was done. I also know it was 2 hours just to pull the pan and not jack it up and four hours (or more) to put it back on and get it sealed. When you pull 20 or so inches of vacuum in the engine the thing needs to be sealed tight. It was a nightmare and I saw that junk up close.

Another thing that kills the Hemi (NA) is the huge port with a short runner length. The G3 isn’t any different. Big, short port. What killed the last version of the “hemi” in Pro Stock was that short port. When NHRA passed the EFI and RPM rules, they KNEW it would kill the Hemi and they still did it.

The Hemi was some 700-800 RPM higher than the wedge headed engines. That’s HUGE. So when those two rules were passed, the big short port became a liability. You couldn’t get the manifold runner long enough with the current EFI rules so the Hemi was now way underpowered at the 10,500 RPM rule.

So this?

1. Opposing valves
2. Short ports
3. Skirted block

And at some point I remember you saying:

4. Poor combustion chamber

Of the above list, you used Pro Stock motors as your basis for why #2 and #3 were an issue. Isn't that like saying 48 tappet angle is only helpful above 8K RPM?

You can compare a G2 Hemi with a decent 440 and the 440 beats it up.
So why did the 440 disappear from NASCAR when the G2 Hemi hit the track?

And why are there no BBM's in the top 10 in 2021 ET records for the F.A.S.T. cars? The fastest BBM is 13 mph slower than the fastest Hemi and 8 mph slower than the closest Hemi.

And no reply to these questions...

I posted 4 different examples of G3 cars and the only response was "should have run W2's". You yourself said you didn't think W2's could be found new anymore in the fiasco of "highest flowing SB heads" thread. So how much do you think he would have had to shell out to get a used set, plus all the parts to swap it over? Bet he has less in his 225K G3 and still picked up time and MPH. And as you have pointed out over and over, it's the MPH that shows the HP.

I think at this point it is probably best to just part ways with this. I will say that I am walking away feeling less like you are a blow hard and more that I just couldn't communicate well enough. Your tone often put me off, but I see now that it was probably more with me than you trying to jump on me. Either way, don't think we will see eye to eye on this so better to leave it alone.

I will leave it with this though. If you go back and read everything I have said, you will find that I have said I am not say G3 only. I love the idea of a modernized LA, and I think a W2 build would be cool. I would even like to do a BB someday. Money no object, I would probably build something like what racer joe built for his Duster. Or even better, an upgraded B motor like a 451 with all the tech I can pack into it. Unfortunately, I have to live in a world where money is a sore spot.

Last edited:
I posted 4 different examples of G3 cars and the only response was "should have run W2's". You yourself said you didn't think W2's could be found new anymore in the fiasco of "highest flowing SB heads" thread. So how much do you think he would have had to shell out to get a used set, plus all the parts to swap it over? Bet he has less in his 225K G3 and still picked up time and MPH. And as you have pointed out over and over, it's the MPH that shows the HP.

In all fairness, the guy with the Dakota swapped to the G3 in 2017. I have no idea if the W2's could have been easier to find at that time or not. And I bet the Ritter intake cost a pretty penny even 5 years ago.

So maybe it wasn't cheaper to swap to the G3 than W2's. Still feels like it would have been but too many years to now and I certainly have a bias that makes me lean that way.

I would have edited my post, but been too long since I posted it (to me) so I figured I would just argue with myself. :D

well the g3 is junk
the hemi is a pos n/a they rev to the moon no race block though
the la is the best but it needs a race block after 600 for ring seal lol
what did i read here the w7 heads had issues leaking out of the box
all this top quality expensive **** needs mods to scream
how did the 340 runs 9s in 70s without it
nobody in this day of technological advancements can make a bolt on head to flow 300 oftb that works that doesnt require silly expensive in valve train parts
must be a chit design 59 degree this yada yada
30k for 700hp is a fail

silly

They don't need a race block. The 1500 HP Crate motor is running an OEM block. It's the BGE block, but it's still the same block you could get in a Ram with a 6.4 or a Scat Pack after 2018 or so.

I thought it was the W5 they called the "sprinkler"? But I could wrong.

I won't argue that the LA can be made to run

Rat Bastid, After reading through the thread I quoted from below, I have to say that I read some vitriol into your posts that might not have been there. I can't say if it was a prior bias I had or what, but after read them again you didn't seem as angry and puffed up as I remember. So I apologize and will endeavor to check my reactions to make sure I'm not reading something that isn't there.

Doesn't change that you called me a crack *****, but that's a separate issue that I plan to ignore. :)

Still says to me that I have been disrespectful to you. That you hope I wouldn't be disrespectful to other experts like I have been to you. What am I missing?

And I would still point out that based on the empirical evidence of how they run off the showroom floor, the "hemi issues" don't seem to be affecting them. Based on cost and available parts, it just makes sense (to me) to run what gives me the best I can get. I already know you don't agree, but I don't see LA motors falling out of the trees that meet my criteria for a price I can afford.

Maybe answered later?

So this?

1. Opposing valves
2. Short ports
3. Skirted block

Of the above list, you used Pro Stock motors as your basis for why #2 and #3 were an issue. Isn't that like saying 48 tappet angle is only helpful above 8K RPM?

I think at this point it is probably best to just part ways with this. I will say that I am walking away feeling less like you are a blow hard and more that I just couldn't communicate well enough. Your tone often put me off, but I see now that it was probably more with me than you trying to jump on me. Either way, don't think we will see eye to eye on this so better to leave it alone.

I will leave it with this though. If you go back and read everything I have said, you will find that I have said I am not say G3 only. I love the idea of a modernized LA, and I think a W2 build would be cool. I would even like to do a BB someday. Money no object, I would probably build something like what racer joe built for his Duster. Or even better, an upgraded B motor like a 451 with all the tech I can pack into it. Unfortunately, I have to live in a world where money is a sore spot.

I’ll see if I can answer some of these. If I miss one or some let me know and I’ll answer them too. I’m not afraid of being questioned BUT just giving a standard answer may not be the BEST answer. That’s why a couple of times I said to go back and read what I said very close. If you are focused on the wrong thing, I’d rather correct your focus and then deal with the question. I’ll leave it at that for now.

So what does the W8 and W9 flow? The answer is I have no idea. Those heads, just like the W5 and W7 were designed to be ported per the application. That way you don’t have a port that is too small for 400 inches and too big for 340 inches. And once again I say to you and everyone else, Flow is very low on what makes a head make horsepower. Chad Speier just released a YouTube video a day or two ago where he flow tested a port and he was talking about port noise. I suggest you look up that video and listen and watch closely. What he says in that video is so critical it can’t (or shouldn’t) be ignored IF making horsepower matters.

Head costs are again based on how much port work goes into them. Some engines may need very little porting and just a nice valve job and others may need a full port job. So nailing down the cost is near impossible to do without knowing exactly what the combination is.

All those heads will fit any LA a lock. You don’t need a Ritter or the all elusive R block. I would suggest if you are spending money on a head as developed as the W8-9 it’s worth every penny to invest in an aftermarket block.

In NA form, the Hemi has the valves in line. Which can be a good thing IF you understand what happens when they are lined up.

When the valves are opposed (like a Hemi) you have a straight path for the intake charge to go through the chamber and out the exhaust at overlap. That isn’t a bad thing except that you have to know it’s there and you have to control it with cam timing. Or you piss power (and fuel) out the headers. To be clear, YOU need to pull the fuel/air charge into the chamber at overlap, but the Hemi (again in NA form) allows to easy a path for that and you can over scavenge the chamber and throw away power.

To that end and to control that over scavenging you have to open up the LSA. I’d be lying if I said I understood exactly why this is, but it is. And that is when you open up the LSA (even for a purpose) you kill mid range torque like a ****. And that’s where the wedge kicks it’s ***.

I think (abut again I can’t say for 100% sure) that opening the LSA on the Hemi to control over scavenging that it wouldn’t kill mid range torque because it would seem you are just correcting that one issue. But it surely does. It just kills it. Don’t get me wrong in that a too wide LSA kills a wedge engine too, but the Hemi is very touchy about LSA. Of course you can use RPM to get past that but most guys don’t have the stomach to turn anything tight enough to overcome a wide LSA on a Hemi.

This is a whole area of ICE function that I don’t even remotely understand. All I know is what happens. I just can’t explain it because it doesn’t make sense in my mind. So flaw 1 in an NA Hemi is valve arrangement/overlap flow/LSA. You can’t separate the three. They go togehter.

Issue two is rocker gear. Any Hemi will always have problems with rocker gear, geometry and such just because of valve layout. Steve Morris has videos of this on his YouTube channel and he covers it very well. If you’ve ever been around a blown alcohol Hemi and have seen the RPM they turn to make power and what that does to the valve train it blows the mind. NHRA a for years now has allowed injected nitro to compete against blown alcohol dragsters. And for 2023 injected nitro will be allowed in blown Funny Car as well. And you may ask so what? And the so what is very interesting.

And that is a blown alcohol Hemi is now turning 11,000 RPM and maybe a skosh more. And they make power up there. But valve spring life is near zero. And the rocker gear gets its *** kicked every pass. Thats a function of RPM and valve layout.

If you chose injected nitro (very cool injected nitro is…even watching them get one started is amazing) then the last time I knew for sure they only turn 6800-7000 RPM to run with the blown alcohol stuff. And they both run the same basic Hemi. And even if the injected nitro engine was turning 8k (and I don’t think they are based on MPH and tire diameter) the difference that 8k and 11k is HUGE.

So overlap flow and what happens around that hurts the Hemi (NA) unless you wind it up. And the valve layout isn’t as good when you have to RPM the hell out of to make power when it comes to getting stable, reliable rocker gear.

I haven’t seen the G3 in a while but pushrod geometry is also a big compromise for the Hemi. It rarely gets mentioned but it’s a thing. Guys making power spend a huge amount of money to get the lifter/pushrod/rocker in line. With the Hemi it’s another compromise because of the opposed valve arrangement.

And then there is the skirted block. Since I was around and paying attention in 1999 (and I was just dumb lucky enough to run into the guy tasked with making the “new” Hemi in Pro Stock run a year before it actually happened I had a good idea what was coming. And that included the killing of Pro Stock Truck.

So when Chrysler did the research on how to sell what became known as the 99 Hemi as a Hemi what mattered most to the consuming public was two things. One was the spark plugs had to go through the valve covers. If the average guy at the drag strip looked at the engine and it had the spark plugs through the valve cover they knew it was a Hemi.

And a close second was the dreaded skirted block. The vast majority of spectators (and therefore likely buyers of the product on the Monday after a race) could identify the engine as a Hemi IF it had those two things. With the skirts off the block a good number of spectators didn’t count the Hemi as a Hemi without that skirt. Against the objections of the guys who had to build and race this thing, the Hemi got skirts.

The skirt is a bona fide power killer. That’s a known fact. The skirt makes it almost impossible to control crankcase windage. And that sucks horsepower like a ****. As long as the skirt is there (the passenger side is the most critical because of crank rotation and oil throw off the crank) the skirted block will give up a significant amount of power to a block without skirts.

It was so bad that the guy running the Pro Stock program (I don’t want to name drop because I get gigged for that) milled off the skirt on the passenger side and built a pan that fit the skirt on the drivers side and no skirt on the passenger side. And it was a royal pain in the *** to get that pan off. And it was double as hard to put it on. Per the guy doing it, it took 2 hours just to pull the pan and FOUR HOURS to get it back on and sealed up.

And yet Chrysler could have eliminated the skirts off the G3, marketing said they had to stay.

Maybe answered later?

So this?

1. Opposing valves
2. Short ports
3. Skirted block

Part two because this takes as long as I though it would.

As to why the LS is a better starting point than the G3 is laid out in the above post. With the exception of the skirted block (the skirts reduce NVH…Noise, Vibration, Harshness) the LS has none of the issues outlined above that the Hemi does.

GM used the skirts for NVH. IMO that’s a bad thing but todays consumer is soft and weak so any little thing that doesn’t feel like Prius turns them off.

One more thing about the Hemi chamber and then I’ll move on. The question is why did Chrysler build the Hemi on a 4.25 bore rather than use the 4.320 of the 440 and reduce the stroke to maintain the same displacement? At that point you could have used a B block rather than the RB block and it would have been a lighter, tighter package and certainly would have made more power.

Well, because as the bore gets bigger so does the chamber. When you already have a bathtub sized chamber a king it any bigger just kills power.

And in ASSCAR, the Hemi was far more developed than the BBC was. The 426 wasn’t the first hemi Chrysler developed. They had the 392 to expand on. Had ASSCAR allowed both engines to develop and compete the wedge would have overcome the Hemi and history might be different.

Of course, GM also had no answer for the Daytona body. That was a big deal.

As to lifter bank angle, a 48 LBA will show gains over the 59 LBA well below 8k RPM. Chrysler went cheap *** on the LA when they used the Poly’s LBA. It was a cost savings and nothing more.

Of course when max engine speeds are 5500 RPM and most of those engines that were used as daily transportation never saw the high side of 4k, and the camshaft was so milquetoast that that LBA didnt really matter much. Use more aggressive lobes and the LBA gets more critical right quick.

As for the W2 head and availability that is THE issue. They should still be being made but they aren’t. Indy makes two versions that are close enough to the W2 that you can use those. And they are aluminum. If you don’t port the living hell out of them they don’t leak. If you start with the small port and try to make them the big port they will leak. The answer is but the right port the first time.

If I missed something or didn’t make it clear, let me know.

well the g3 is junk
the la is the best but it needs a race block after 600 for ring seal lol
all this top quality expensive **** needs mods to scream
nobody in this day of technological advancements can make a bolt on head to flow 300 oftb that works that doesnt require silly expensive in valve train parts
must be a chit design 59 degree this yada yada
30k for 700hp is a fail

silly

And this post is exactly why the G3 gets the hate. You don’t have a clue what your are prattling on about.

There are very few, if any G3 Hemi‘s running NA that make over 700 HP reliably. Probably not many over 600 HP either.

And if I have to explain why they can make 1k on a pair of hair dryers and not **** themselves then you know way less than you think you do about making horsepower.

-
Back