Unique Noise. Potential Torque Converter Gone Bad?

-

zmarty27

Reaction score
Upon starting the vehicle, the noise began with the initial crank. It isn't quite a grinding noise like you would hear fumbling a gear in the transmission. Its lighter, almost like a bearing rattling in a tin can. When I press the pedal in Park or Neutral, the noise increases with the RPM's. It is intermittent when I drive, usually while I am taking off from a light or sitting in drive while braking waiting to take off. The noise is centralized around the transmission/rear portion of the engine and its louder while listening beneath the vehicle. I know this is a bit vague without a video, but the video footage doesn't capture the sound with distinct clarity. It doesn't sound quite like an engine knock or "tick" either. Solved that problem a while back. Any guesstimates are welcomed. Thanks guys.

Cracked flexplate.
Flexplate was looking good from what I could see. Unless there is a fracture deeper inside the housing. I'm getting only 2.5-3" of visibility. I can't see the center.

Out of curiosity, have any of you changed your torque converter? If so, what are you all using? I'm trying my best to stay under $300, but I also want a good option and not something that will go out in five years. Thanks for the help!

Flexplate was looking good from what I could see. Unless there is a fracture deeper inside the housing. I'm getting only 2.5-3" of visibility. I can't see the center.
You have to remove the trans to see if the center hub of the flexplate is cracked. The ears you can see through the inspection hole. They crack in both places.

You have to remove the trans to see if the center hub of the flexplate is cracked. The ears you can see through the inspection hole. They crack in both places.
Yeah, this is where I clock out on the labor part. Lol I'm working with entry level tools and jacks. Do you have a good suggestion for a flexplate?

Yeah I have replaced my torque converter in my 85 pick up. I just went with a stock replacement/reman.
I have a 727 Lock up behind my/6 in this truck.
All that I could find for a lock up trans. B&M, and other such companies have lots to offer for NON lock up transmission but absolutely zip for a lock up.
Only choice I had. I paid either $140 or $160 for mine via eBay. This was with "free" shipping and no core charge, the transmission parts warehouse I used to deal with moved 2-1/2 times farther away from me and aren't there on Saturday so it would mean a sick day to be able to get one there, though as I remember the last time I went there I needed another one for a 727 lock up in my son's ramcharger (same exact converter probably) and as I remember that one was just under $100.
I had to replace this one because of bad teeth on the ring gear. By the way it ran before, and given the fluid color, I'm guessing the original one was just fine internally and would be fine with a new ring gear.
Or possibly ,cut the welds and flip it over, then reweld it (???) And it was also a "while I was in there" replacement, while I was doing the engine swap.

Upon starting the vehicle, the noise began with the initial crank. It isn't quite a grinding noise like you would hear fumbling a gear in the transmission. Its lighter, almost like a bearing rattling in a tin can. When I press the pedal in Park or Neutral, the noise increases with the RPM's. It is intermittent when I drive, usually while I am taking off from a light or sitting in drive while braking waiting to take off. The noise is centralized around the transmission/rear portion of the engine and its louder while listening beneath the vehicle. I know this is a bit vague without a video, but the video footage doesn't capture the sound with distinct clarity. It doesn't sound quite like an engine knock or "tick" either. Solved that problem a while back. Any guesstimates are welcomed. Thanks guys.
I had an issue like this ended up being the dust/inspection cover on my SBM 727. If you haven't already, try running it with the cover off.

If you tightened the converter bolts and the noise got worse, you have just about, 100% diagnosed a cracked flexplate. That's just about all it can be.

I appreciate the help, guys. I’ll start sifting around to see what I can find. I’ll keep the thread posted if all doesn’t go as planned.

I appreciate the help, guys. I’ll start sifting around to see what I can find. I’ll keep the thread posted if all doesn’t go as planned.
I have a used OEM type flex plate for a SBM 727 if you need one.

There's 2 different sizes of flex plates, different bolt patterns for the converter I think 10" and 11"

I had a small block 904 combo that ate flexplates like crazy. I’d pull the trans, replace the flex plate and 6 months later have to do it all again. Turns out the block was missing a dowel pin and 17 year old me didn’t know to look for it.

So I'm looking through the parts manual and the part is listed as 9-46-4. 2801 762 is the code number, but its not coming up as a compatible part for the A904. Any guesses here? I'm a bit stumped. I didn't think the parts were interchangeable.

It could be a mere oversight by me. I apologize if it is.

Screenshot (28).png

Parts book poorly written .check this page 8 cyl test page 9-10 2801 762 listed as 904.

Image (4).jpg

-
Back