Will GM 200r4 work with factory floor shift location?

-
One more thing....The TCI adapter is 1/4" thick. I asked this question on other threads but never got a good answer. The reason it makes a difference is that some adapters are thicker. The thicker the spacer the further back the 200R4 gets pushed. The thinner spacer will require less cutting of the upper trans cross member/brace because it only pushes the tranny back 3/4". The TCI was one of the thinnest and that's why I went with it (the main reason). We shall see!!!!

Treblig

KT340sport,

Are you asking why someone would put an OD into a Cuda or are you asking why someone would put Chevy trans in a Cuda??

Treblig

Call me crazy, but why in the world would anyone want to do such a thing .I no understand , i must be getting to old .

try driving a car with 3.55+ gears, loud exhaust, and a high stall converter on the highway without overdrive.

I love my car, except for the hour i spent driving to the track where i start thinking about selling it half way to the track.

Unfortunately most of us have to look outside of the mopar box because the mopar overdrives require a lot of fabrication.

Amen Brother!!

I hope everyone realizes how much I love my Barracuda. I owned one back in the early 70s (for Kt340dust, I'm also getting old). It was a 67 fastback with a 273 4 spd. I had it jacked up with wide tires in the back. I would go racing on Saturday night. I would rev it way up on the line and dump the clutch. The back tires would smoke like HELL and burn for about 25-30 feet then the car/engine would fall on it's face for lack of power. It was always so funny because when I would first launch I would see the other guy (racer) watch my launch and his eyes would bulge out thinking that he was going to get eaten alive by the cuda. But once the cuda fell on it's face it was all over and I would lose. I was in the military back then E3 no money.

So I bought this '69 Cuda two years ago (REVENGE). I have more money. I have more brains. I have more time. I want it to launch really good and I want it to keep launching as it goes through the gears. It will not fall on it's face. It will cruise at 70 MPH doing 2500 RPM. I love my car so much that I do not want to cut it up (any more than I have to). So yes, it is a Chevy trans, but it saves the cuda by not hacking it up more than necessary. If Mopar made a trans I could use to accomplish the same thing without cutting up my car I would buy it. Of course the price would have to be reasonable (like what I am spending now).

I say all this so everyone will know that I'm not disrespecting the Mopar brand. I'm trying to give the Cuda a chance to redeem itself. That's my take on it anyway. Call me crazy!!!

Treblig

Jerry6 "I just bought and am installing a gear vendor overdrive , the overdrive in the 200r4 sounds amazing , if you can run 4:10 gears and have a 180mph top end , that's about the top end on mine with 3:55 gears and the G V overdrive , with 4:10 gears my car would have a top end of 160 mph @ 6500 rpm , that's some overdrive in the 200r4 . Just can't get over the Chevy name . :icon_smi: "

Good luck with your GV install. If GV changed it's name to Chevendor would you still use it?? In other words, GV is also not a Mopar product but I support you in your efforts to make your ride better and more fun. I would probably buy GV if it didn't cost so much. I can actually afford it but it's the "principle". The more money I save on the OD, the money I have for the 318 stroker (I don't want to go cheap on the important stuff). Make sure and show us some pics of the install, I'm sure there are others who would love to do the same!!

Treblig

try driving a car with 3.55+ gears, loud exhaust, and a high stall converter on the highway without overdrive.

I love my car, except for the hour i spent driving to the track where i start thinking about selling it half way to the track.

Unfortunately most of us have to look outside of the mopar box because the mopar overdrives require a lot of fabrication.

Thats when a trailer comes in handy !!!!!

Thats when a trailer comes in handy !!!!!
Some of us like to drive the car , not trailer it . I do 75% highway driving , be a lot nicer with the car at 2400 instead of 3100 rpm . Save gas as well

especially so close to $4 a gal...
$4.00 A GALLON ??? More like $1.45 a liter closer to $6.00 a gallon up here for 94 octane . I hope to get 25 or more mpg with the overdrive , right now I get around 22 mpg on the highway Every bit helps at these prices .
Dart gets better mpg than my 2007 Pathfinder or 2009 Jeep so in summer it's the main ride if it's not raining .

Very Nice Dart!!!

Hate to say it but gas is $2.97/gallon where I'm at. If it goes any higher I'm moving!!!LOL

treblig

Very Nice Dart!!!

Hate to say it but gas is $2.97/gallon where I'm at. If it goes any higher I'm moving!!!LOL

treblig
I wish gas was 2.97 a gallon ! I can't remember when it was that cheap up here .
The late 60's Cuda is the next car I want , always been a favorite of mine .They should have used it as the model for the new Challenger , would have been smaller and lighter , with the new Hemi would have been killer

$4.00 A GALLON ??? More like $1.45 a liter closer to $6.00 a gallon up here for 94 octane . I hope to get 25 or more mpg with the overdrive , right now I get around 22 mpg on the highway Every bit helps at these prices . Dart gets better mpg than my 2007 Pathfinder or 2009 Jeep so in summer it's the main ride if it's not raining .
your still doing better than me! Lol our Tahoe gets 18mpg hwy on a good day

Jerry6, "I wish gas was 2.97 a gallon ! I can't remember when it was that cheap up here .The late 60's Cuda is the next car I want , always been a favorite of mine .They should have used it as the model for the new Challenger , would have been smaller and lighter , with the new Hemi would have been killer "

That would have been "killer". Light weight and fast. I searched the internet for a year to find mine. You would be amazed at how many people are out there hurting for money and willing to sell a very nice original car for a very good price.

Treblig in Texas

I'll have to put the 200R4/TCI adapter/390 stroker build on hold for about a week. They're sanding and refinishing the hardwood floors in my house so I will have limited use of the computer and everything here. But I'll get back on it as soon as possible. We're going to be in a hotel for a few days while they do the floors so I might have some computer access but not at the house for the project.
Still waiting for someone to tell if there are any CHRISTMAS DISCOUNTS FROM JEGS, hughes, RPM machine, CNC motor sports OR SUMMIT so I can order my stroker crank!!!

Treblig

Yes, I have an all original, no rust '69 Barracuda (survivor) with a low mileage 318. I have two other 318s. One is a complete short block already overhauled the other is just the block. I plan to use one of the extra blocks and make a 318/390 stroker to mate with the 200R4. I have the SIR rods, RPM airgap, SS 2.02 &1.6 Ferrea valves and the 360 heads already. I also have a set of adjustable rockers. All I need is the crank and pistons and I'm set. I've been posting about the heads at
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=255601

I prefer to buy the crank when they have those Christmas discounts (around this time of year). The engine will be a 390 torque monster for everyday use and some highway use. I plan to port the heads myself. NO HIGH RPM (5800 and below) with 4.10 gears. It's simple but deadly.

Treblig

OK, the floors in the house have been refinished. All the furniture is back in the house. I should be able to start marking and cutting the TCI adapter in the next few days. It's been pretty cold lately (for S. Texas) but it won't stop me. I received the airgap intake in the mail yesterday and should receive the 750 Holley next week. The stroker crank and pistons should be on order in December sometime. Once we're past Turkey day it should all be down hill.:blob:
PS - Did someone say that the RPM Airgap will interfere with my stock AC brackets???

treblig

Attachments

• DSC01818.JPG
    125.5 KB · Views: 462
Well I thought they would never finish refinishing the floors in my house but now that it's done I can get back to the project. Attached you will see some pics of the TCI adapter now that I have cut it down to a more manageable size. Also pics of the TCI adapter on the 200R4. The TCI adapter must be made out of hardened aluminum because it was tough to cut. Also the fact that it is a large flat ring didn't help either as I had to brace the portions of the ring that were not in the vice to keep it from vibrating violently. I still need to smooth and straighten some edges to make it look really nice.
I also measured and wrote on the adapter the dimensions of the different sides so that other members have something to shoot for when/if they attempt this modification. The only place (on the adapter) I need to watch out for is the area where the passenger's exhaust down pipe passes the trans/engine mount face area. I'm using a 360 Mag Truck manifold and it exits close to the area where there is very little clearance. Not a big deal but I don't want to install the engine and tranny only to find that I have an interference problem. Will show pics later on this.

Next I will fit the Mopar starter and cut the 200R4 trans housing for clearance. I will also be fabricating a bracket to mount the Mopar accelerator cable and 200R4 TV cable to the intake manifold and carb. It's a lot easier to do on the bench than in the car.

Treblig in Tex

Attachments

• DSC01826.JPG
    107.1 KB · Views: 443
  • DSC01825.JPG
    127.7 KB · Views: 444
  • DSC01823.JPG
    101.6 KB · Views: 452
  • DSC01821.JPG
    108.4 KB · Views: 456
  • DSC01820.JPG
    118.6 KB · Views: 468
I got the adapter whittled down and checked the fit on the 318 block only to find that they had sent me the wrong crank adapter. They sent me an 8 hole when it should have been a 6 hole. I had opened the package about a month ago and didn't really look to see if the crank adapter was the right one because the shipping box had the correct number (TCI-14960). I called Summit and they said that the correct crank adapter would be here sometime next week.
I also found that whoever had put together this short block together didn't put a lube hole in the plug just in front of the distributor shaft. One pic is what it should look like next pic is what I found. Also one pic of modified adapter mounted to engine.

Treblig

Attachments

• DSC01831.JPG
    108.3 KB · Views: 446
  • 527016_525889790815731_1236393259_n.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 434
  • DSC01830.JPG
    119 KB · Views: 440
Here are some pics of my planned union of the mopar accelerator bracket and the GM 200R4 TV cable bracket. I don't want to change the Cuda accelerator linkage/cable so I'll just mock up a Mopar bracket with a cut-down GM bracket on my RPM intake (with 750 Holley). This is still in the rough stages and the distances for the TV cable and the accelerator are not set yet but you'll get the idea by the pics. I'll get the exact distance for the Mopar accelerator bracket off of my Cuda and the GM TV cable distance off of my son's '46 Chevy that I put a 700R4 into. GM brackets are a dime a dozen as they were standard equipment for over 20 years and just about everyone on this sight has at least one Mopar bracket. The money I save using stuff I have laying around the more money I have for the 390 stroker. I've already asked Santa for some 4.10 gears for Christmas and Santa (wife) says that it shouldn't be a problem!!!!!!! : ) : ):headbang:
Once I get all the distances set correctly I'll post them. After I finish cutting and welding/smoothing the brackets I'll paint them and they should look like a factory item.

I don't know whether this part of the build belongs in the Small Block Tech area or here since it kinda connects the trans to the engine.

DAMN IT'S COLD OUTSIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Treblig

Attachments

• DSC01833.JPG
    117.8 KB · Views: 314
  • DSC01832.JPG
    121 KB · Views: 414
  • DSC01834.JPG
    127.4 KB · Views: 423
  • DSC01835.JPG
    123.4 KB · Views: 328
  • DSC01836.JPG
    119.4 KB · Views: 427
The first time I put the Mopar bracket in place (previous post) it put everything too far back so after some cutting and drilling I got it positioned further forward. I measured my Barracuda's accelerator linkage and it's about 6 inches from the original bracket clamp to the carb lever so I moved everything (bend, massaged and repositioned) so that I ended up with 6 inches on the accelerator distance. I also had to move the 200R4 bracket forward. I had to cut some excess pieces of metal off the GM bracket because I'm not using a GM accelerator linkage or intake bolt holes. The pics show how much of the bracket is left if you compare the pics (before and after). I'll have to wait for my son to come home from work in the '46 Chevy so can measure the correct distance for the 200R4 linkage bracket. I still need to grind, smooth, sand blast, weld and paint before final install.

First pic is brackets before and second pic is brackets after some cutting and positioning. This way when I get the 200R4 in my Cuda I won't have nearly as much designing, fabrication, delay and welding and paint. Just hook up the TV cable, adjust and drive. My goal is put the tranny into the car with minimal fabrication during installation.:burnout:

I'll probably bolt the 200R4 to my dummy 318 and get the TV cable adjustment as close as possible before I even put it in the car!! Since I have the intake, heads, carb and TCI adapter it shouldn't be a big deal to get everything set in advance. Same goes for the starter.
Treblig

Attachments

• DSC01840.JPG
    111.1 KB · Views: 299
  • DSC01832.JPG
    121 KB · Views: 397
  • DSC01837.JPG
    115.3 KB · Views: 338
  • DSC01842.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 343
Thought I'd give everyone an idea of what I'm shooting for when it comes to setting up a 700R4 or 200R4 TV cable. TCI and others sell an adapter bracket for Holley and Edelbrock carbs to get the correct distance from the center of the carb shaft to the TV cable pivot point. I have a set of digital calipers so it's very easy for me to drill a hole in the exact location on the carb lever. But you also have to make sure you get the full angle of movement as required by the diagram. Either way if you get the TV cable attached to the carb lever in the correct location you won't have any problems. I believe the Holley I have has a Chevy lever on it but I can't check it until tomorrow. If it have a Chevy lever then the hole should already be there. The Mopar accelerator attach point isn't as critical but it's still important to get it right so get full throttle when you floor the gas pedal. See Pics.

It's still colder than H3LL outside!!!
treblig

Attachments

• DSC01845.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 353
Well summit must have hired some new employees for Xmas. I had called them to get them to send me the correct crank adapter and when I got the invoice the next day I found that they had sent me another 8 hole ^**$&%%^(!!!. So I called them again and told them about the second error. They told me to wait until I received the "second wrong one" and ship them both back at the same time then they would send me the correct one. If I was in a hurry I would have been pissed but I still have a long way to go so I agreed.
I also had to order the Holley TV cable adapter bracket (very small item). P/N 555-157300...$23.99. This small bracket allows you to connect the 200R4 TV cable to the carb and get all the correct travel angles and stroke as seen in the pics I posted earlier. This is very critical if you want your 200R4 to shift correctly!!
Yes, you can make one yourself (and I have) but I have too many irons in the fire right now and need to keep this build moving forward!!!
Treblig

Attachments

• 555-157300[1].jpg
    43 KB · Views: 359
-
Back