73 Duster build named Fred

-
Finally got all of the under hood, dash and rear half of the car wiring done. Only thing left to do is eliminate 75% of the main harness and wire up the lights up front and I’m done with the electrical. I might stay home tomorrow and finish it up so this weekend will be topping off coolant and trans fluid, then running the engine up to temp and setting timing. That would have been enough to take it for a drive except I decided to order another spooled dropout with 4.30 gears and gun drilled 40 spline axles so the rear ended is apart. Maybe I’ll get lucky and the new parts will show up tomorrow…. lol
View attachment 1716155776

View attachment 1716155777

View attachment 1716155778
Thou art kicking ath lol

Thou art kicking ath lol
lol, I’ma bit anxious. Too many times I’ve gone 1 step forward only to go 2 steps back. Good example of that is I just got the rest of the cage delivered 15 minutes ago so not I gotta pull the seat back out, cover the dash and all my wiring so I can burn in the cage. Or, I’ll finish the build and put a few miles on it, then disassemble and finish the cage.

lol, I’ma bit anxious. Too many times I’ve gone 1 step forward only to go 2 steps back. Good example of that is I just got the rest of the cage delivered 15 minutes ago so not I gotta pull the seat back out, cover the dash and all my wiring so I can burn in the cage. Or, I’ll finish the build and put a few miles on it, then disassemble and finish the cage.
Maybe putting a couple miles on it is a good idea, you can figure out if there's any bugs or noises, if you can hear anything.
****, good thing you got another 3rd member lol.
Are you buying those 3rd members brand new ?

Excellent job so far. I'm impressed with your hustle, 6 months for all this progress.

That is one tough looking and sounding 73!! it's probably going to give your super stock hell!!! Congrats and best wishes with progress...I'm so jealous of that sucker... cam rocks!!! She's gonna look sweet with wheels up in the air...

Are you putting cage out to your front frame rails ?

Made more progress on Fred today. Got the electronics mounted up (forgot to take a pic of the final install) and engine fired up for the first time. Crazy how it started right up and even idled on its own first try! Need to finish wiring up cooling system (fans and water pump) before I can run it longer but at least I know I am one step closer.

70 psi oil pressure is what I saw on the gauge before I shut it off.

View attachment 1716153923

View attachment 1716153924

Bill that thing sounds nasty...damn

Maybe putting a couple miles on it is a good idea, you can figure out if there's any bugs or noises, if you can hear anything.
****, good thing you got another 3rd member lol.
Are you buying those 3rd members brand new ?
Yeah, new thirds but sold the 4.10/TrueTrac combo

Got coolant topped off and timing set. Next up is to fine tune the carb but that will be another day.

I just brought my engine home today, it hasn't seen home in over a year.

lol, no. Got the 9” disassembled. Waiting for the new third and axles to show up. Should be here this week so hoping for good weather next weekend.
Oh, okay. I was hoping to hear about your converter...I'm thinking of going with ptc or Neal chance.
I hope you have good weather too, because usually I'll get good weather too lol .

The beef showed up today so it looks like tomorrow morning it will be out with the old and in with the new. 31 spline true trac with 4.10’s getting replaced with 40 spline gun drilled axles, pro (big bearing pinion) 4.30’s spooled and 5/8” studs. Hopefully the weather will clear up in the next few days so I can take Fred for a rip.
IMG_1723.jpeg

71988239468__AEA2DC30-2FA0-4829-A279-80A67073C03B.jpeg

71988238518__6BDAFC0E-C6DB-4ED7-8276-6D3B3B984FF1.jpeg

IMG_1724.jpeg

The beef showed up today so it looks like tomorrow morning it will be out with the old and in with the new. 31 spline true trac with 4.10’s getting replaced with 40 spline gun drilled axles, pro (big bearing pinion) 4.30’s spooled and 5/8” studs. Hopefully the weather will clear up in the next few days so I can take Fred for a rip.
View attachment 1716157940

View attachment 1716157941

View attachment 1716157942

View attachment 1716157943
Apparently, you mean business Bill.

By the way, holy crap there's a lot of bolts on a 9 inch ring gear

Yeah I bet. Pro-stock is GOOOOD !!!
Old pro-stock I mean
Knowing Bill it’s probably a Pro Stock rearend.
Not sure what it is to be honest. I told my gear guy that built all my diffs when I was racing offroad to build me something stout for the drag strip and this is what he came up with. He said it was a pro gear set but it can also be driven on the street We are adding a back brace to the housing and then I’m certain it will hold up to anything I can do to it.

-
Back